Did you ever live in Parson Cross?

We used to do toast and chestnuts on our Parson Cross coal fire.

Just ain't the same thesedays - seems to take ages on the damn radiator.

I am enquiring for my Grandparents who lived in Parsons Cross in the 30's,40,s and 50,s. Does anyone remember the Gill family from Dearlands or the Thompson family from Wordsworth. I would be grateful of any information.

Police have named the woman who died following a Deerlands Avenue RTC (Road Traffic Collision) on Sunday 19 November 2006 in which a driver failed to stop.

She is Barbara Thompson, aged 54, from Deerlands Close, Parson Cross.

Ms Thompson was returning from a night out at around 2.20am when she was in collision with what is believed to have been a silver saloon car, travelling along Deerlands Avenue towards Shiregreen. The vehicle failed to stop at the scene.

Ms Thompson, who had just got out of a black taxi cab when the collision happened, was taken to the Northern General Hospital where she died a short time later.

R.I.P.

I went to Chaucer school , i left in 1993 . I went to Parson Cross 4 para cadets thet was bottom of the PX park near a small shop that backed on the brooke.

We use to do cross country from Chaucer school on the brooke and in the park ,Nothing like volting over burnt out bikes smashed TV's & nappys. No idea if that happens now ?

My mum Lives on Adlington road , uptop where the Taxi/Bus only ( well suppose to be ) road is. We watched the back of her house one of the houses get knocked down. the council came like a week later and fitted through all new locks/bolts due to fear of security with scrappers ect...

Police have named the woman who died following a Deerlands Avenue RTC (Road Traffic Collision)...

She is Barbara Thompson, aged 54, from Deerlands Close, Parson Cross.

R.I.P.

I knew a Barbara Thompson who grew up at the top end of Buchanan (PX Park end), on the road between Buchanan and Launce.

About the right age too

Hope it's not the same girl, but bless her anyway.

I went to Parson Cross 4 para cadets thet was bottom of the PX park near a small shop that backed on the brooke.

QUOTE]

In my day it was the Royal Signals Cadets. A gang of us went there regularly for a year or so. It was brilliant.

One year we went on Summer Camp to Warcop, which I think is up in Northumberland near Route 66. I have really fond memories of trudging through the "Ulu" (Army word for forest or jungle) with an SLR and a big pack on my back. Also went for a ride in real tank. And fell in love with one of the catering girls (Doreen? Aileen? Eileen?). Gosh the hormones weren't half raging that summer.

Eric, I don't think the cadet hut is still there. My dad went there in about 79-81 , he said it was a real laugh although the locals were a bit of a pain. There was a bunch of them and just about all of them ended up as 'regulars' so as a recruiting tool it was pretty effective. As a cadet he ended up getting all 4 Star awards and reached the rank of corporal (would have been higher but he kept getting busted for fooling about).

Yes the Army Cadet hut has long since gone.

It was run in the mid sixties by a Sergeant Wragg, with help from the likes of Tommy Irwin and Alan Fletcher who both lived just along the road in those 'steel houses' and a lad called Fozz - Corporal Peter Fothergill.

It kept a lot of kids out of trouble for a lot of years.

My nan lived on doe royd cres from the houses being built.Her name was elsie ward she worked at batchelors. My dad alan went to meynell school.I remember the gallagers cig factory on halifax road now lidl.

My nan lived on doe royd cres from the houses being built. Her name was elsie ward, she worked at batchelors. My dad alan went to meynell school. I remember the gallagers cig factory on halifax road now lidl.

I had the good fortune to chat with a dear old lady a few years ago who, as a young girl, lived at Doe Royd Farm before it was compulsory purchased by Sheffield Corporation in 1937, to make way for the houses that stand on Doe Royd today.

The new tennants, including your nan, must have thought that they had arrived in heaven. Many had come from terrible housing. Some had never seen inside toilets, proper bathrooms, hot running water or the gas that they now enjoyed. Previously their old tin baths had to be filled with water heated over an open fire and shared in turn by the whole family in a cramped living room.

For a while the Doe Royd folk must have lived in bliss in the middle of open countryside, with nothing but fields all the way down to Ecclesfield and all the way down to the railway line at Wadsley Bridge, apart from a quarry where Somerfield and Halfords now stand on Kilner Way. That quarry turned out house bricks by the million and was still operating in 1966, although it must have closed soon afterwards.

They even had their own 'Supertram' of the day, right on their doorstep. The tram terminus was right outside where Gallaghers cigarette factory was later to be built. It just managed to get under the Wadsley Bridge, which was narrow and built of stone in those days.

My nan had some great stories to tell.She lived on bramall lane before moving on to doe royd and said the houses were luxury compared to the back to back house she was used too.