Did you ever live in Parson Cross?

sandy

l live in parson cross now and loooking for people who lived here and went to school here

as im in a local history group

and we would like people to tell us they story as how parson cross used to be

so we can make a memory box to take around the local schools and the old people homes in sheffield

hi jabberwocky the bloke the ritz man with the pen that you are reffering to was the son of heffords fruit and veg shop wich was situated near halifax road he was scary then but looking back he was harmless can anybody remember the the fish ponds on foxhill road next to cox and danks the steel mill which is now flats we spent many a happy hour there happy days

I remember the Ritz bloke with the pen!

God Id forgotten all about him. My mother used to tell me that I was going to end up like him if I didnt pull my sicks up and work harder at school.

And clearly she was right Jabbers:D

Allus listen to wot thi mam sez.:thumbsup:

hi jabberwocky the bloke the ritz man with the pen that you are reffering to was the son of heffords fruit and veg shop wich was situated near halifax road he was scary then but looking back he was harmless can anybody remember the the fish ponds on foxhill road next to cox and danks the steel mill which is now flats we spent many a happy hour there happy days

I vaguely remember going to some fish ponds around there, we also used to go fishng at Wosboro Dam on our bikes.

Cycling home to the Cross always seemed a very long journey and all uphill

Hello, Parsn Cross types. I used to live just behind the Magnet at Southey Green (shocked to read on this site that the Magnet had been demolished; my dad will be turning in his grave- this and Southey WM Club were his favourite watering holes). Because of the location of our house, I always said that I was from Southey Green. I attended Southey School from Infants to Juniors to Senior Secondary. Forgotten the name of the Headmistress in the Infant School, Miss Dewsnap was the headmistress in the Juniors, and Mr. Kay, ah! dear Mr. Kay, was headmaster in the Seniors. Mr. Cooper (Boris) was assitant head, and also taught science and math. Miss Cowp - nobody mentioned her - was senior mistress for the girls. Any girl remember the old battleaxe who taught Domestic Science and sewing? Miss Charlton? To this day, I hate sewing, because of that woman. I attended Southey Methodist Church on Moonshine Lane, and we shared the minister, along with Creswick Greave Methodist, and I remember Mr. Seaman very well, who was followed by Rev. Ron Wills, who we used to think looked like Ken Dodd. It took me four days to read all forty four pages on this link, and it was the memory of Mr. Seaman that inspired me to join in. Keep the memories coming, please.

Many of the places (streets etc. ) the names I knew, but location is hazy.

I had an aunt who lived on Holgate Ave. down Adlington Road, from our house. Talk soon.:)

:wave: :wave: :wave:

I'm a Bush (surprise surprise!!) as mentioned above.

Mom (Angela) is still on the go. She's 88 and lives in sheltered accomodation near Hillsboro Park.

Lots of the listed names ring bells:-

Seniors, Baldwins and Ledgers were all family friends, and I knew many of the other families on the list.

A personal email from any of them would be welcome.

blackspot

you are right about the man with the pen I think is name was John he used to walk miles, didnt cause any problems to anyone.

I used to go fishing on the pond you mentioned it was the small pond we used to call Moss and Gambles situated at the side of the factory.The factory made castings of some type and when the big hammer started up the ground shuddered that much it lifted you off your fishing basket.I went on the pond straight from school every night, I caught the same fish that many times I individually named them.Above the pond was what we called the res and we wasnt allowed to fish it, it required permits etc.Somewhere on the Forum the res was brought up because of the death of two brothers that drowned.

Thinking about it the res was very dangerous especially in one corner as there was a deep drop straight in, no chance of climbing back out.

Over the back of the res was what we called the newt pond this was the smallest of the ponds and as the name suggests it was full of newts.

Happy days.

blackspot

you are right about the man with the pen I think is name was John he used to walk miles, didnt cause any problems to anyone.

I used to go fishing on the pond you mentioned it was the small pond we used to call Moss and Gambles situated at the side of the factory.The factory made castings of some type and when the big hammer started up the ground shuddered that much it lifted you off your fishing basket.I went on the pond straight from school every night, I caught the same fish that many times I individually named them.Above the pond was what we called the res and we wasnt allowed to fish it, it required permits etc.Somewhere on the Forum the res was brought up because of the death of two brothers that drowned.

Thinking about it the res was very dangerous especially in one corner as there was a deep drop straight in, no chance of climbing back out.

Over the back of the res was what we called the newt pond this was the smallest of the ponds and as the name suggests it was full of newts.

Happy days.

Yes, his name was John, he always had a smile on his face and never took his eyes off his pen.

Speaking of newts, I remember one of my mates dropping a newt off the top of Kepple's Column just before it was closed for being unsafe.

I am happy to report that it survived (the newt that is - not the column; I have no idea if it is still standing)