Does anyone remember Dolphin Street?

Not sure how to 'PM' but wouldn't mind an email of the 1950s map

cos I'm trying to locate the allotments my dad used to take me to (somewhere over towards the Kettlebridge) and the current layout is somewhat obscured by factories, so if you are still active on this thread, I'd be very grateful, thanks.

I have sent you an email with the map attached Jazzer. If anyone else would like it sending, please PM me.

Thanks,

Chris.

I never knew Dolphin Street, but from what I've learned from this thread it must have been a fairly unique community. Its inhabitants would have had all the common sense and down-to-earth approach of Sheffield folk, while the street was unusual as there were no other streets nearby. At one time the people would clearly all have derived their income from the Nunnery pit, and the allotments/pigsties typified the self-sufficiency and simple life of people half a century or so ago. It would certainly be interesting to see any photos of the street, and I'll add it to the long list of things I want to research when I am next in the Local Studies library!

Thanks Chris (carsupplier)

- map is pretty well how I remember it was laid out until all the land to the east was flattened ready for the new factories. I think my universe as a 0-9 year old kid didn't go beyond the kettlebridge road

so the allotments must have been to the west (ie street side) of that, with the track (dotted line) down the center of the plots.

I think I can post a link to the two photobucket photos on the next message - its still throwing me out.

hi this is the first time i have used the forum i useto live at number

16 dolphin st in the 40s to the late 50s next door to lillian hawley we use to call her auntey and next to her was old mrs bishop i rember the war memorial the women of the street useto put flowers on it every sunday

Hi jackygells - we were at no 22 from 1951 to 62 - the Guys - Alf, Renee, Jonathan and me (Derrick)

Thanks Chris (carsupplier)

- map is pretty well how I remember it was laid out until all the land to the east was flattened ready for the new factories. I think my universe as a 0-9 year old kid didn't go beyond the kettlebridge road

so the allotments must have been to the west (ie street side) of that, with the track (dotted line) down the center of the plots.

I think I can post a link to the two photobucket photos on the next message - its still throwing me out.

Pleased you got the map ok Jazzer, sorry if it isn't very clear!

Now that you have five postings I think you should be able to post a link to your photobucket photos.

The two photos on my photobucket account are on

http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/kk140/SpeleoJazzer/dolphin%20street/001dolphinst003.jpg

http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/kk140/SpeleoJazzer/dolphin%20street/001dolphinst002.jpg

with some description added (not sure if thats visible).

Hopefully I'll get hold of some earlier ones, may take a couple of weeks or so -

On the 002.jpg can be seen the slag heaps at the bottom of the road - in the winter snow we had a slalom course (on home made sledges) from the top to the bottom that used to get us

enough speed up to see how far up the street we could go.

Me and my best mate (Raymond Lavender) once tried it in the summer on our home made wheeled trolleys and nearly ended up in hospital.

If someone could let me know if these photos don't link, I'd be grateful - I'm new to these messageboard thingies..

Hi Carsupllier,

Presumably I could crop the map, save it as a smaller file and make it available on my photobucket account ?

or do these message boards expect it to be done some other way ?

Hi Carsupllier,

Presumably I could crop the map, save it as a smaller file and make it available on my photobucket account ?

or do these message boards expect it to be done some other way ?

Now your testing me Jazzer!

I know that you can crop images on photobucket, but as for saving it as a smaller file I really do not know.

If you go to the computer section on thre forum, I'm sure someone will give you advice.

Hi carsupplier,

I was really asking for permission, as politely as I could get away with ! Assuming permission is given :

648 kb version centered on 'rhubarb island' (the bit in between

the triangle of railway lines) is now available at :

http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/kk140/SpeleoJazzer/dolphin%20street/Dolphin.jpg

(MS Office Picture Manager did the trick, although Photobucket

has just added a load of editing functions)

thanks.

:thumbsup: hi jazzer

i cant rember u but in 51 i was still at wooburn rd school i had two brothers TED &HAROLD and a sister MINIE GELSTHORPE

had some mates barry plant he went in the army same time as our ted and tommy gouge i rememer the johnsons the mays the hectors

drakes old MRS BISHOP at the corner shop and ANNIE NIXON had the fruit and veg shop on the other corner

IF U WANT ANY MORE INFO PLEASE LET ME KNO

Hi jackygells,

I was born in 1953 and actually went to Hammerton Road juniors

and infants (me and my brother the only kids in the street to go there I think) rather than to woodburn road for some reason I never

really worked out. I've got my dad compiling a list of who was where so I'll ask if there are any gaps. The name Gelsthorpe certainly rings a bell.

I remember the corner shop (the beer-off) on our side of the street.

(presumably the Bishops) My dad has this strange tale about the other shop - he says he used to send me to get stuff but says you could never get in through the front - we'd always go in via the yard, and have to go through their living room first, and it was always open, day or night....