Does anyone use the SYPTE Park & Ride sites ?

Do you use the Park & Rides In Sheffield  

30 members have voted

1. 1. Do you use the Park & Rides In Sheffield

• Yes
    • No

Why is the park and ride at the city centre end of the Parkway?

All those people queueing up every morning to park their car a mile from their destination. Much better to have a big car park where the airport was, or thereabouts - lots of empty land around there - and run the tram down the middle of the Parkway.

I don't use it because a) my only hold up is at the park and ride end of the parkway anyway and b) the 'ride' bit doesn't go where I need to go.

Why is the park and ride at the city centre end of the Parkway?

All those people queueing up every morning to park their car a mile from their destination. Much better to have a big car park where the airport was, or thereabouts - lots of empty land around there - and run the tram down the middle of the Parkway.

I don't use it because a) my only hold up is at the park and ride end of the parkway anyway and b) the 'ride' bit doesn't go where I need to go.

Because conveniently, that's where the tram tracks meet the parkway. The tram doens't go to the old airport, so you aren't going to get a tram based park and ride are you (unless you have a massive budget to extend the tram system)?

Because conveniently, that's where the tram tracks meet the parkway. The tram doens't go to the old airport, so you aren't going to get a tram based park and ride are you (unless you have a massive budget to extend the tram system)?

Except it's not convenient for all the people who get stuck their every morning. If Doncaster can find £100,000 per user of its P&R scheme, I'm sure the tram could have been extended to the end of the Parkway had the will been there.

Except it's not convenient for all the people who get stuck their every morning. If Doncaster can find £100,000 per user of its P&R scheme, I'm sure the tram could have been extended to the end of the Parkway had the will been there.

Doncaster doesn't pay for park and ride schemes, that's the PTE. You don't design a park and ride to be full the minute it opens, t's sensible to have capacity for growth.

If you had the faintest idea how much a tram extension would cost, you wouldn't be suggesting that. Costs are immense and the government would not give you the money to do it in the current economic climate. SYPTE are having enough problems getting money for four desperately needed new trams out of the government, never mind 10's of millions for a track extension.

Doncaster doesn't pay for park and ride schemes, that's the PTE. You don't design a park and ride to be full the minute it opens, t's sensible to have capacity for growth.

If you had the faintest idea how much a tram extension would cost, you wouldn't be suggesting that. Costs are immense and the government would not give you the money to do it in the current economic climate. SYPTE are having enough problems getting money for four desperately needed new trams out of the government, never mind 10's of millions for a track extension.

The tram wasn't built and planned in 'the current financial climate' though, was it?

I expect the cost of running it down the Parkway to link to the airport that Planners decided was a good idea, and the offices they have Planned and built would be much the same per mile as the other bits they built at the time.

A high speed, efficient tram that linked Sheffield to a satellite town (Rotherham) and the M1, and the 'international' airport as well as made the park and ride car park not actually within walking distance of the city centre, and therefore of some benefit in reducing congestion would have been marvellous, and I'm sure it could have been funded if the will had been there. It'd have been more beneficial to Sheffield than the Student Games and the aforementioned airport for a start.

The tram wasn't built and planned in 'the current financial climate' though, was it?

I expect the cost of running it down the Parkway to link to the airport that Planners decided was a good idea, and the offices they have Planned and built would be much the same per mile as the other bits they built at the time.

A high speed, efficient tram that linked Sheffield to a satellite town (Rotherham) and the M1, and the 'international' airport as well as made the park and ride car park not actually within walking distance of the city centre, and therefore of some benefit in reducing congestion would have been marvellous, and I'm sure it could have been funded if the will had been there. It'd have been more beneficial to Sheffield than the Student Games and the aforementioned airport for a start.

I see you are also falling into the trap of "the money for A would have been better spent on B"

The funding streams for transport initiative are completely different to those which pay for regeneration projects or sports infrastructure. You bid for money for specific projects, you can't bid for money for a sports stadium and spend it on a tram.

Construction costs have increased massively since the tram was built, which was quite a while ago after all.

It is not as simple as saying, it could have been funded if the will was there. Scheme promoters try to do as much as they possibly can, but the government is the funder, they only have so much money and they don't want to spend every penny of it in one place, so, you have to be realistic about how much you can ask for. As I recall it the tram cost a couple of hundred million, it's not small change we are talking about here.

SYPTE did bid for money to extend the tram system, but the government refused them and told them to look to buses as they offer better value for money. That's why they recently bid for funding for bus rapid transit schemes. The PTE also tried to extend the tram to Rotherham, but there was very strong opposition from the people on the route and the plan was dropped. The potential tram-train trial does offer the opportunity to run a light rail rapid transit system between Sheffield and Rotherham, but again, funding is very uncertain, there is no guarantee it will happen.

Why don't you park on street around the Weedon St area and catch the tram at the stop behind Meadowhall Retail Park, which can be accessed from Lock House Road

Because my dad had his car stolen and I had mine damaged around there.

SYPTE did bid for money to extend the tram system, but the government refused them and told them to look to buses as they offer better value for money. That's why they recently bid for funding for bus rapid transit schemes. .

Dont need a multi million pound scheme for rapid transit the way it was proposed. Install a limited stop tendered service instead at a greatly reduced cost

It is not as simple as saying, it could have been funded if the will was there. Scheme promoters try to do as much as they possibly can, but the government is the funder, they only have so much money and they don't want to spend every penny of it in one place, so, you have to be realistic about how much you can ask for.

But, if the will was there from whoever decides, it could have been done. The fact that there are many layers of people taking money from the public purse to decide these things is not much consolation.

My original point that having a park and ride car park virtually in the city centre, at the city centre end of the main road in to the city from the main road in the country is not hugely beneficial still stands, regardless as to any reasons as to why building it somewhere more sensible was not possible.

I don't use park and rides because I live closer to town that any of the Sheffield park and ride car parks. If I have to go to town, I drive or grab a lift and carpool. I also drive through town to go farther afield.

If they built park and rides in city centre, I'd be happy to use them and walk to where I had to go to from the car park. Wait...

SYPTE did bid for money to extend the tram system, but the government refused them and told them to look to buses as they offer better value for money. That's why they recently bid for funding for bus rapid transit schemes. The PTE also tried to extend the tram to Rotherham, but there was very strong opposition from the people on the route and the plan was dropped. The potential tram-train trial does offer the opportunity to run a light rail rapid transit system between Sheffield and Rotherham, but again, funding is very uncertain, there is no guarantee it will happen.
Rephrase your comment; buses are not better value for money, the government of the time thought buses did. It wasn't truth or fact it was an opinion.