POLL: "Old" Niche to re-open as new members only club "Nemos"

What do you think to the "old" Niche nightclub, re-opening as a new club?  

190 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think to the "old" Niche nightclub, re-opening as a new club?

• Yes, I like the idea.
    • No, absolutely not.
    • I don't really care either way.

Everyone was young once but let it go! The name Niche/nemos , the music & the dj's became a laughing stock to other cities , it's seen as a cross between a night in the dole centre & strangeways , you type niche nightclub into youtube and it's like an episode of police camera action (and ive seen a few regulars actually appear on that programme) if the city wants to move forward in the edm scene then it needs to stop living in the past. p.s my oldman wants to know when Locarno is reopening/.

Top club the Locarno we used to call it "the Zoo" because of a gang of lasses from Woodseats called "the animals":hihi::hihi::hihi::hihi:..

I went mainly from 2003 - 5, but did go very occasionally before then. I loved niche and i think people should give it a break attacking it all the time. When it was raided military style, what did the clubbers do? Did they riot? NO Did they cooperate? YES ... and all this in below freezing temperatures. Crackhouse my ar**e!!! Total joke that police operation and so over the top you couldn't think it up!
Wow, you mean the clubbers who were mostly under the influence of one drug or another and some of whom may have been in possession of illegal substances didn't form a militia group and attack the armed police. They didn't incite the situation further and get themselves arrested? Well blow me over!

Whats that you say? They were all Care Bears? All perfectly harmless? All Disney characters?

The truth is somewhere in the middle. The police operation was heavy handed because it had to be. If they had sent Dixon of Dock Green he would have got slaughtered so they went in mob handed and outnumbered the clubbers. The clubbers behaved because they were outnumbered not because they are pious little angels.

Edited by discodown

“I hate a good many things, but I suffer them all the same.”

Stannis Baratheon

Wow, you mean the clubbers who were mostly under the influence of one drug or another and some of whom may have been in possession of illegal substances didn't form a militia group and attack the armed police. They didn't incite the situation further and get themselves arrested? Well blow me over!

Whats that you say? They were all Care Bears? All perfectly harmless? All Disney characters?

The truth is somewhere in the middle. The police operation was heavy handed because it had to be. If they had sent Dixon of Dock Green he would have got slaughtered so they went in mob handed and outnumbered the clubbers. The clubbers behaved because they were outnumbered not because they are pious little angels.

That is the most ridiculous comment so far on here!

The Police went military style cos they believed that they were going to get trouble. In fact the opposite occured, NOT because they the police outnumbered the clubbers at all!!! This just proves how out of touch the police are and YOU as well!!! The police raided it using CRACKHOUSE legislation... My God, they believed it was a crackhouse? And lo and behold they found crack... NO, they didn't!!! Just 2 people charged for possession of ecstasy, i believe, and fined £50 quid each, for an Operation that cost 3/4 of a MILLION. You are obviously out of touch BIG STYLE and you know NOTHING about the majority of clubbers who once went there back in 2005. People like you make me so ANGRY for portraying total incorrectness about who ACTUALLY visited Niche back then. Why don't the Police like Bassline? The reason is, is that in 2005, they were embarrassed by an Operation that got very little results. They had spent a huge amount on it and expected to find EVERYTHING. They got two people in possession of e's. That's why they hate Bassline and Niche in particular. I also believe, but I may be wrong on this, that the police may have also raided the club following the killing of pc Sharon Beshenivsky, who was shot dead in Bradford about two weeks prior, believing that the guys that they were after might have been in there. I don't know whether the police had planned to raid Niche anyway and brought it forward due to the killing in Bradford. But there's more to it than meets the eye.

Edited by Joe9T

From my experiences of Niche, most of the trouble came from outsiders who weren't even inside.

Yep, you used to get those coming in big groups from Manchester etc, that would be refused entry for various reasons, and would just hang about outside, or keep driving round.

When the entrance got moved around the back and the downstairs exits and cloakrooms were reshuffled, it stopped a lot of the bother.

That is the most ridiculous comment so far on here!
You've not been reading your own posts! :D

The Police went military style cos they believed that they were going to get trouble.
Actually this is true but not for the reasons you think. Sit down, strap yourself in and get ready for a little history lesson.

Way back in the summer of love in 87 when raves started happening and warehouse parties first appeared the police and clubbers were mostly on good terms. The police generally turned up to events and asked the organisers to make sure they cleared up after themselves and generally made sure things didn't get too out of hand. It was only when the criminal minority got into it and started to spoil it for the rest that the police really started to get heavy handed. But the real catalyst for police heavy handedness was a warehouse party in Leeds where the police were going to raid it and the DJ - Rob Tissera - encouraged to crowd to barricade themselves in and stop the police raiding. He was arrested and jailed for public order offences and since then police have always gone into every club and event they've raided mob handed. That combined with the criminal elements moving into the rave culture landed us with the Criminal Justice Act which specifically singled out dance music as something to be feared as a social evil. So the police have always been extremely heavy handed breaking up dance events.

Its not just Niche, Niche wasn't singled out, it wasn't special. When Gatecrasher was raided the police went in in virtually the same numbers. The same applies for Home in London and almost every other club before or since.

In fact the opposite occured, NOT because they the police outnumbered the clubbers at all!!! This just proves how out of touch the police are and YOU as well!!! The police raided it using CRACKHOUSE legislation... My God, they believed it was a crackhouse?
Have you ever used a screwdriver to lever off the lid of a tin of paint? Did you believe the screwdriver was a paint tin lid lever? Or is that just an example of using something as a tool for doing something that its not necessarily designed to do? Same thing here. The crackhouse legislation is used because theres no legislation specifically for raiding clubs. So for raiding venues where theres believed to be drug dealing the crackhouse laws are used. Is it right or fair? Probably not.

And lo and behold they found crack... NO, they didn't!!! Just 2 people charged for possession of ecstasy, i believe, and fined £50 quid each, for an Operation that cost 3/4 of a MILLION.
Save me from your faux outrage about how much the police spend on operations. If you actually cared about the police budget you'd be on every thread moaning about it. You aren't. Its just this one. If you care so much about the way the police spend their budget get yourself elected to council and change it. Otherwise stop crying because it was over 5 years ago so it can't be changed and it makes you look like a whiny baby and I know you aren't one.

You are obviously out of touch BIG STYLE and you know NOTHING about the majority of clubbers who once went there back in 2005.
I know loads of people including most of the DJ's who went there. I'm still mates with most of the DJ's. I went there a few times myself between 2001 and 2005. But generally I was going round about 1995-1998. I'm not someone who's never been and is scared of the place. But I am a realist. It wasn't Toon Town.

People like you make me so ANGRY for portraying total incorrectness about who ACTUALLY visited Niche back then. Why don't the Police like Bassline?
Because it attracted a criminal element and there was violence and drug dealing amongst the minority. Thats why they didn't like it. It bred a certain culture for the minority and that culture occasionally caused lots of problems. Didn't you know that?

“I hate a good many things, but I suffer them all the same.”

Stannis Baratheon

First you appear to support, in post #12:

Great idea. The more clubs the better. I doubt it will get off the ground though

Then not, in post #69:

No of course it doesn't. No doubt there are plans for opera nights and flamenco parties and skiffle get togethers and brass band meetings and tango lessons and all manner of things absolutely nothing to do with bassline! :D:D:D

Then support, in post #71:

And you're being contrary for the sake of it. If this opens it will be bassline events. Nothing wrong with that. Sheffield should have that. But don't try to pretend that this club won't be bassline and the people who went to Niche won't flock here because they will.

Also for what its worth i'm not against the club and not against Fran, i've met him a few times and like him. I hope he gets the license & I wish him well.

Then not again, in post #148

And, not only that but you have not quoted any other posters comments apart from mine!

Save me from your faux outrage about how much the police spend on operations. If you actually cared about the police budget you'd be on every thread moaning about it.

I'm not that sad!

If you care so much about the way the police spend their budget get yourself elected to council and change it.

I speak out and make my vote; don't need to be a councillor

Otherwise stop crying because it was over 5 years ago so it can't be changed and it makes you look like a whiny baby and I know you aren't one.

I'm not whining, i'm simply stating a fact that it cost a whole lot for very little in return.

PEACE :)

Edited by Joe9T