Advice required - how to fix a shoddy carpet install

Evening all, hope you can help.

I had a carpet installed recently by a company who responded to an ad I posted on the forum. The guys came and fitted the carpet but left a ridge in the middle of the room which I only noticed after they had gone as they had placed furniture over it when I came to look.

I called the company back who said they would come out to fix it, but never showed. This was repeated time and again - "Ok, we'll be at yours at 3om today" then just not showing. Follow up calls and emails achieved very little, they had clearly washed their hands of it. Very poor.

Anyway, can someone knowledgeable tell me if it's likely that the following could be stretched out if I got a competent fitter round rather than the cowboys who came out last time:

IMG_6760.jpg

Forum rules prevent me from naming and shaming but please PM me if you've asked for carpet work recently and I'll let you know who it is. This company also offers other building and landscape services - it may be that they are OK at that and just bad with carpets, but their customer service is just plain awful.

Thanks for reading! :)

Yes that can be fixed quite easily. The fitter will just pull the carpet up and use a puller to tighten it up again.

I have no idea how much it would cost but i don't think it is a big job.

[edit] In fact. Taking a second look at the picture it looks to me like the entire thing is a little loose. The job might be a little bigger than i though but i don't think it will be a massive fix.

Hi, Im a very experienced carpet fitter and floorlayer. There are two possible situations here...

1, Its not been stretched properly.

2/ Theres a fault, in that the backing of the carpet has come away from the actual subtance or pile of the carpet. I have seen this occur with some carpets.

In the case of (1), its a simple stretch, but the carpet may have to be pulled back to where the ripple is, which may involve carefully pulling it up from the adhesion or grippers and moving or any furniture that is on the side that it will be stretched to.

In the case of (2) a repair by glueing the backing to the carpet will need to be carried out prior to stretching.

The shape of that ripple rings a few alarm bells with me, speaking from experience

CAUTION; Its not always straight forward to stretch this out, excessive stretching can damage this kind of carpet, rip it or make it worse.

I will respond to your other thread.

Contact details. Richard 07763 86 32 55

Richard,

Thanks for the info. I'll keep your details to hand if the planned fix this weekend doesn't take place.

Cheers

No worries, good luck with it.

We can recommend ASCFlooring, Ash (07843 056340) he has done our complete house and work for many of my customers. He is cost effective, reliable, quick and completes work to a very high standard.

Shouldn’t a room be empty to fit a carpet, how can they have stretched it properly if you say that they at furniture on it, a decent fitter may just take it up and start again, at least you have a carpet to stretch.

We once had a company fit a hall, stairs and landing carpet and they cut the landing part to short and then tried to bodge it up, at least that was with a national company and it got sorted.

Good luck.