03/05/2011 Secret Millionaire set in Burngreave

Strange, I thought it one of the best. A woman who has had so much wealth and privilege all of her life wants to help the less fortunate. She had no need to part with any of her money, or give up her time. I felt she came across as genuinely wanting to help.

So what was bad about it? :confused:

Thats the nature of the program isnt it? I thought every show someone did that.

I do feel like its more trumpet blowing for the millionaires, I'm sure many many wealthy donate daily to various charities but don't have a camera crew following them around.

I agree with Andy's post on this. I felt very quickly, that the peeps on the show 'cottoned' on to her. The format has become as stale as a eight month old breadcake.

I think the Lost Chord woman cottoned on.

'I charge £45 per session but it actually costs me £145 so I'm losing money.'

Yeah right. You saw her coming a mile off.

£145 for 3 people to sing some songs? A lovel service but £145 is taking the mick. And she gets nearly 40K a year to do one show a day for a year.

Nauseating garbage. The director clearly had a strict set of rules for filming in Burngreave:

1. Only film in grey, drizzly weather so it looks grimmer (not hard in Sheffield)

2. Only let her walk past the same few run down spots

3. Avoid all the nice bits (no shots of me and Neeeeek swapping home made jam

in either of our very nice gardens)

4. Big up the scary factor by featuring an idiot taxi driver peddling horror stories

from God knows when who knows nothing about the area and who is basically

a cockosaurus

Perhaps her family should pay their Indian workers a decent wage, then she wouldn't have piles of unearned cash to give away in the first place.

The taxi driver is a friend of mines husband and he was coached on the sort of things to say.

wish people would stop slating that taxi driver, he's one of a few black cab drivers thats sound - he's jordanian and you can understand what he says and he knows his way around, and he was only speaking the truth, tho scott road aint all that bad !

i have never watched this programme before, i put it on cos it was in shef...

it was very depressing - the woman is a billionaire who has never peeled/chopped an onion or lifted a finger in 30 years and she gave a VERY SMALL fraction of her wealth away - this makes for good tv?

course they, they know all the loopholes, still doesnt mean she didnt help people in need out tho which is what the programme was about

You have to admit though, if ChrisT70 is right it's us the mugs that'll be doing the helping not the donater.

Anyone know about the tax angle with regards to who pays what when a generous donation is made from a company?

it was very depressing - the woman is a billionaire who has never peeled/chopped an onion or lifted a finger in 30 years and she gave a VERY SMALL fraction of her wealth away - this makes for good tv?

it still a hell of a lot of cash to the charities involved who survive on a pittance, i thought she was a lovely girl and seemed genuine, you can't blame her how she was brought up billionairess or not. ps i guessed she'd take that tapestry back with her in the end, and nice touch naming the kids second christian name wilfrid :)

I understand that it effectively reduces the company's profits by the amount of the donation.

Since a company pays corporation tax (around 26%?), the government lose 26% of the value of the donation in tax revenue, but only if it would have been included in the firm's profits if it hadn't been donated.

Very basis and I'm sure this company's accountants will have worked out a more tax efficient way of donating.

It does when it is given to a charity that I have given hours of my time to. I had no idea and I saw Helena today.

I think the Lost Chord woman cottoned on.

'I charge £45 per session but it actually costs me £145 so I'm losing money.'

Yeah right. You saw her coming a mile off.

£145 for 3 people to sing some songs? A lovel service but £145 is taking the mick. And she gets nearly 40K a year to do one show a day for a year.

Professional musicians and volunteers at each home. I volunteer for that charity and I know how much it costs.

It does when it is given to a charity that I have given hours of my time to. I had no idea and I saw Helena today.

i am not doubting the money she gave away made a difference but i fail to see how highlighting one persons extraordinary wealth is a good thing

The taxi driver is a friend of mines husband and he was coached on the sort of things to say.

Really you know Sham,? So do I.