Self defence classes for men

Does anyone know if any self defence classes for men are available in Sheff? I'm not interested in martial arts as such, I just want to learn some moves that can 'disable' a street mugger or other assailant. I have checked yell.com with no success. Thanks.

Hi Stocksy

The most beneficial thing you will get out of a SD class will be more along the lines of how to recognize and avoid the situation. You will pick up 1 or 2 basic self defense moves but actually applying them is another thing all together.

There are classes that take both men and women I know there is a course in Dinnington and in the New Year there will be a course in thurcroft.

Your best way is a self defence class like karate but you will have to go for some time to get the benefits. I did it for about 8 years.

The other but it will cost about 300 pound is to take you SIA Badge. this is the badge that bouncers take. I have just taken it and it tells you how to recognise dangarous situations, how to handle them and also how to restrain people. (and give them a kicking depending on who your trainer will be). And after you have finished you can apply for your badge (190 quid) the work the doors.

I think that RBSD (Reality Based Self-Defence) type classes are run from Waltheof campus by one of Dave Turton's students. Dave is a very well respected person in this area and has taught many of the UK's top names in RBSD.

I'm familiar with the RBSD concept but I've never attended a class, so i couldn't tell you what exactly is taught there. i could try and find you contact details if you want them.

Karate and other martial arts provide some techniques that can be used in self-defence, but IMO they aren't self-defence per-se. Awareness, strategy, dealing with adrenalin dump etc. are just some of the elements beyond technique that are part of self-defence.

I need mens self defense classes too,

self defense against the missus :P

Now ive gotta go do them dishes!!!

Freddy

Self defense against the missus

mmm

I suggest giving her your dosh then run to the gym that works for me lol

Originally posted by Stocksy

I'm not interested in martial arts as such, I just want to learn some moves that can 'disable' a street mugger or other assailant. Thanks.

THIS seems to work for me. :thumbsup:

Originally posted by Stocksy

Does anyone know if any self defence classes for men are available in Sheff? I'm not interested in martial arts as such, I just want to learn some moves that can 'disable' a street mugger or other assailant. I have checked yell.com with no success. Thanks.

if such moves existed, don't you think that potential muggers might go on these courses as well? Not to mention lots of martial artists who'd all like to know some moves to quickly win fights if such moves existed.

There are 'moves' that exist but one has to consider how calm you would remain in order to use them in the situation.

I went a on self defence course (while working in the NHS) on breakaway techniques - which after all you only need to break away, this was organised by NHS for their employees because it is that dangerous to work in the public sector.

And one has to keep practicing the'moves' as one becomes de-skilled if not... :thumbsup:

Originally posted by Don_Kiddick

I went a on self defence course (while working in the NHS) on breakaway techniques

Dipping biscuits in yer tea won't hurt anyony silly billy. :rolleyes:

How can you mention "Work" and the N.H.S in one sentence?

<<<<<Just a matter of time