Opening a Vegetarian Restaurant

Hmmm. I like the fact that the same menu is - well - the same. It means I can go in and I know I'm going to get something delicious.

Would I like to see more variety? Sure. But not at the expense of the things they currently have. The Roast Potato in sauce last week was just yummy!

Hmm.

By being vegetarian you are limiting your market. The question is, are you limiting it too much for it to be viable as a business.

I am not vegetarian, although I do sometimes choose the vegetarian option from a menu; I don't insist on having meat.

I might try a vegetarian restaurant once out of interest. I went to one in Budapest once because it was recommended. I'd be unlikely to go back though, as it limits your choice so much.

Personally I don't think Sheffield has enough people for the sub-set of 'people who will go to a vegetarian restaurant' to be large enough to sustain one. I'm certain you won't get enough customers to sustain a vegan one.

I am a vegetarian who loves good food. I would really like to see a vegetarian restaurant serving good quality and dare I say expensive high end menu. I find that a vegetarian restaurant can look like it has been thrown back from the 1970s flower power era, whilst that isn't offensive, I would love a modern, beautiful vegetarian restaurant like greens in didsbury http://www.greensdidsbury.co.uk/

or Yotam Ottolenghi in Islington.

http://www.ottolenghi.co.uk/

Ottolenghi has a really popular and fresh approach to vegetarian cooking if you create anything close to his restaurants I would be soooooo happy.

As with any restaurant the quality of the food is the most important, followed by atmosphere and service (this may be only my opinion!). As mentioned in previous posts you will be limiting your customers by offering a vegetarian only menu. As a minimum I would advise fish dishes as this wouldn't upset most vegetarians. Also offer a vegetarian mixed platter, this will give us carnivores a chance to sample proper vegetarian food.

Im surprised that no one has opened a restaurant or cafe to cater for diets.

If you could do one that could do meals for slimming world, weight watchers and something like the atkins, I reckon it would do well and be quite good for marketing.

It may be quite difficult to do mass orders of food though

Many years ago I used to go to a veggie restaurant round the areas that have been mentioned and I am not veggie. I am just on the borders of Sheffield and Rotherham so with a bit of advertising you don't have to rely just on people from Sheffield. I'm sure there are others willing to travel for good food. Could you extend the service to vegetarian buffets either collected or delivered depending on location and order value?

I don't know anything about the catering business but I hope you get the help and advice you need.

I wonder if having a veggie BBQ/ chargrill cooking area may help to bring in customers? Perhaps you could show non veggies how to cater for veggie friends when doing BBQs? I do a lot of veggie food at BBQs and my none veggie friends were drooling over the food. I told them they had to wait until the veggies had first choice and they could have anything left over. I didn't do anything expensive, difficult or time consuming either.

Edited by Chez2
Add about veggie BBQ.

The Blue Moon Cafe is for Sale...

http://www.businessesforsale.com/uk/Well-Known-Licensed-Vegetarian-Cafe-Eatery---Sheffield.aspx

What about a mixed veg/meat restaurant but with two kitchens and separate plates etc...

You could have green plates for veggies and red for the meat eaters.

Two lots of overheads (equipment, staff, kitchen floor space) supported by one restaurant?

Edited by Number Six
removal of rogue apostrophe