Ecclesall Road. Is it still a good night out?

I never knew the Nursery used to be seperate rooms. Was it long ago? (I'm only a young'un!)

The Banner Cross Hotel isn't too bad thesedays though, although i've not been in recently.

You will have to close your eyes and imagine this Tess. The pubs on Ecclesall Road consisted of the late Devonshire, The Nursery Tavern and then The Banner Cross Hotel. The Nursery was the jewel in the crown, separate rooms full of antiques and a snooker room, the landlady was the magnificent four feet eleven inches of Mrs Vera Jenkins.

The eating consisted of Ron Barton's Uncle Sams, a little later the Freeman brothers opened Yankees and Kamal had the Ashoka on the other side of the road, The Curry Centre near Wards Brewery was nice and cheap. Take aways consisted of fish and chips from Two Steps on Sharrow Vale Road and Andrews Chinese on Hickmott Road.

Very few students, they preferred Broomhill, mostly family housing although a few young professionals shared rented houses and flats above shops. The Polish Club had a Sunday lunch licence of 1.00 pm to 3.00 pm (something to do with Mass). The Nursery closed at 2.00 pm and we used go up there for the extra hour.

There was plenty to entertain us, but it doesn't look much when you read it. Some nice shops started to spring up, usually the hobby shops of the wives of wealthy guys, my wife's best mate had one near Hunters Bar roundabout. The Tesco in the Berkley Precinct appeared to be huge, and our introduction to supermarket shopping.

I hope that this helps, if I've forgotten anything some kind soul will no doubt let us know.

Just to add a few more pubs, New Inn near to the Devonshire, the Earl Grey across the road and the old Pomona where the car sales place is.

Just to add a few more pubs, New Inn near to the Devonshire, the Earl Grey across the road and the old Pomona where the car sales place is.

Yes one was actually in the brewery compound, however the old Pomona's address was Pomona Street unlike the new one's Ecclesall Road address. You will no doubt recall the main entrance being on Pomona Street.

Yes one was actually in the brewery compound, however the old Pomona's address was Pomona Street unlike the new one's Ecclesall Road address. You will no doubt recall the main entrance being on Pomona Street.

I always get the Pomona and the Porter Cottage mixed up, was the Porter Cottage the one on a back street off Eccleshall road?

As pinhead has correctly stated, the Pomona is now on Ecclesall Road, the Porter Cottage is situated on the very busy and popular Sharrow Vale Road, along with The Lescar.

As pinhead has correctly stated, the Pomona is now on Ecclesall Road, the Porter Cottage is situated on the very busy and popular Sharrow Vale Road, along with The Lescar.

Cheers I always get them mixed up.

Porter used to be good, went in Pomona a few years ago and it was rubbish.

Having mentioned The Lescar, I am aware that they are hosting jazz nights for next to nowt admission prices, however are they still doing comedy nights?

You will have to close your eyes and imagine this Tess. The pubs on Ecclesall Road consisted of the late Devonshire, The Nursery Tavern and then The Banner Cross Hotel. The Nursery was the jewel in the crown, separate rooms full of antiques and a snooker room, the landlady was the magnificent four feet eleven inches of Mrs Vera Jenkins.

The eating consisted of Ron Barton's Uncle Sams, a little later the Freeman brothers opened Yankees and Kamal had the Ashoka on the other side of the road, The Curry Centre near Wards Brewery was nice and cheap. Take aways consisted of fish and chips from Two Steps on Sharrow Vale Road and Andrews Chinese on Hickmott Road.

Very few students, they preferred Broomhill, mostly family housing although a few young professionals shared rented houses and flats above shops. The Polish Club had a Sunday lunch licence of 1.00 pm to 3.00 pm (something to do with Mass). The Nursery closed at 2.00 pm and we used go up there for the extra hour.

There was plenty to entertain us, but it doesn't look much when you read it. Some nice shops started to spring up, usually the hobby shops of the wives of wealthy guys, my wife's best mate had one near Hunters Bar roundabout. The Tesco in the Berkley Precinct appeared to be huge, and our introduction to supermarket shopping.

I hope that this helps, if I've forgotten anything some kind soul will no doubt let us know.

How long ago was that? i lived near Tescos in the mid/late 80s and it was pretty quiet on & around Ecclesall rd - we used to go up to the Jolly Buffer for a beer - though mainly on the way into town..

How long ago was that? i lived near Tescos in the mid/late 80s and it was pretty quiet on & around Ecclesall rd - we used to go up to the Jolly Buffer for a beer - though mainly on the way into town..

Oh you're only a lad jake, I'm talking about the early to late 70's. Wasn't the Jolly Buffer where the ripper was having his pre murder drink, only to be prevented by the efforts of two proper coppers?

Hi Crookesey, not sure if I do or don't. Only went in a couple of times. Was it through a conservatory or a lean to? I do recall the Home Ales being foul and therefore Mrs Jenkins's Stones was the preferable option. I remember the Prince of Wales around the back of The Pomona being demolished, I never went in but it was on TV in the mid 70s in "I Didnt Know You Cared" I think it was called. God do feel old now ;-)

Oh you're only a lad jake, I'm talking about the early to late 70's. Wasn't the Jolly Buffer where the ripper was having his pre murder drink, only to be prevented by the efforts of two proper coppers?

little Mesters I think ripper was in, he never got me my pint back

Did the Nursery ever have a three quarter snooker table?