Place to sell old comics ?

Just had a quick look, I have 40 ranging from #10 to #77 plus some king size specials. Some in very good cond, some not so good. Can I retire?:D:D

Issues 10 to 20 had a lot of 'first appearances' in them, such as

Issue 12 - Doc Octopus - Value £40 to £800

Issue 13 - Mysterio - Value from £60 to £1,200 depending on condition.

Issue 14 - Green Goblin - Value from £100 to £2000

Issue 15 - Kraven The Hunter - From £40 to £600 (possible fluctuations due to the re-emergence/resurrection of Kraven in recent issues promoting more interest)

You may be able to get a bit of cash to treat yourself with some of the issues you have. However, bare in mind that comic collecting and selling is not an exact science, and issues that are valued high may not actually fetch that much as it is all down to finding someone willing to pay that price.

• 5 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Re Twitcher's comment "There is a dealer just behind Bramhall Lane football ground and he has a website he sells from too".

Any clues as to what the dealer's called? I'm not even sure if the shop's still open. Seen it a few times as I've gone past on the 51 and there seems a dearth of activity.

On the actual subject of old comics and cashing in, beware. Those people who've got a loft crammed full of old (60s, 70s, 80s) American comics - Spiderman, Justice League Of America, Batman, X-Men etc, and think they're sitting on a fortune - be prepared for a knock-back. I saw an interview with a comics dealer on a day-time collector's program a year or so back who pointed out that while old genuine American comics DO have value in some cases, most people in England will have the comics with an English price printed on as they've bought them from British dealers and shops. This makes them - in the eyes of collectors AND dealers - reprints and therefore less than the 'originals'. I tried to sell a complete run of 80s Frank Millar 'Daredevil' mags a few years back and didn't get one nibble. I was dismayed. When I asked around at various comic shops, I was told they were virtually worthless.

• 3 weeks later...

RE: Forbidden planet off of the moor only sell new comics and......

I know Forbidden Planet on the Moor well. When it was changing ownership from Nostalgia Comics to F-Planet I was very briefly left in charge of the shop and all its contents while the staff went to their lunch. Wasn't shown how to work the till -so that was fun when some bugger wanted to buy something....

The joke being I was only set on as temporary staff to shift & construct storage shelving.

I'd be useless working in a comic shop. I have a life-long fondness for the medium. I'd get very possessive and narky when anyone tried to leave with a purchase.

Why do people collect comics? I just don't understand the fascination of a comic to an adult. I enjoyed Dennis the menace as a child, but I wouldn't enjoy reading it now. I'm not knocking it, I just don't understand it.

It's the word 'comic' that's misleading. Since the Stan Lee revolution in the early 60s, the medium has dealt with far more serious issues than Denis The Menace getting spanked at school for wagging it. Many are stories for adults told with accompanying artwork. Simply; a story in picture form. The current phrase 'graphic novel' is far more apt than 'comic'. As for collecting them, that's a whole other issue. Why do adults collect anything? Pinned butterflies on a board, interesting beer mats, lacework doilies..... It's a deeper human psychological need to possess (or brag) I suspect. I dunno.