Plans to dim street lights at 8pm

The section of dual carriageway alongside Norton Aerodrome is only lit on one side, and last time I went up it was the same from Beighton roundabout towards Crystal Peaks.

I'd like it if the lights were turned off completely after midnight. I'd love to be able to see the stars properly.

Couldnt agree more some nice dark sky would be great!!

Another non news story from the bastion of tabloid press!

I'm pretty sure that in some parts, of some towns, in our sceptered Isle, they go off altogether at Midnight already.

The lights on the street where my grandparents lived on in Folkestone went off during the night. I was going to midnight mass at around 11pm and there were off then - this was in the early 1980s.

Unless they change the lights to ones that can be dimmed, which would cost a fortune, they would have to switch them off completely at a pre-set time.

Part of the highway PFI scheme was to replace streetlighting, think it was £80m so if they are going to replace them they may as well look at this.

Part of the highway PFI scheme was to replace streetlighting, think it was £80m so if they are going to replace them they may as well look at this.

If they used led's instead of bulbs it might use less energy and save money over time.

Unless they change the lights to ones that can be dimmed, which would cost a fortune, they would have to switch them off completely at a pre-set time.
Why? High pressure sodium can be dimmed.

If they used led's instead of bulbs it might use less energy and save money over time.
But they're extremely expensive at the moment.

But they're extremely expensive at the moment.

I didn't know that, but still if the cost of fuel savings over the lifetime of a street light is greater than the cost of the lifetime of a bulbed light, it would still be worth doing.

I didn't know that, but still if the cost of fuel savings over the lifetime of a street light is greater than the cost of the lifetime of a bulbed light, it would still be worth doing.
Savings in energy wouldn't be that great, the main savings would be made in maintenance costs, due to the theoretical long life of LEDs. Over a reasonable period of time there would be savings in costs that would offset the initial cost of the LED units. But the initial capital investment is high and since LEDs are relatively new technology in this type of application, their longevity is to be proven.