Sheffield Council to decide the fate of your ANPR data

Get out of town and it tracks where you are to approx a 2 km radius, which is to say not very accurately at all.

But the key difference is that I choose to take a mobile with me. I can't choose to have those cameras ignore me.

If I want to track my own journeys and post the information online I can, that's a very different proposition to the government saying that they will and that I have no choice in the matter.

There are more controls on the mobile data, this is a good thing.

so now your claiming some kind of divine right to drive where you like :loopy:

hey guess what I`ve been fitting today ............ ANPR enabled cctv, its watching you and there is NOTHING you can do about it.

But my point was that both systems could be interrogated by the powers that be IF anyone was bothered.

For the vast bulk of us the zillions of movements we make past a camera or the tracking of a simm card in town down to a hundred yards (the conversations we've had and the texts we've sent and the zillions of emails) are of and will be of no detailed interest to anyone, legitimately or not.

The cameras, after all, will only look for a strategic overview of traffic movements, surely.

For that reason, I'm quite relaxed about it all - I have far more pressing concerns in my life (and principles to stand up for) to get wound up about a record of my passing a camera on a spreadsheet buried as it will be by tens of thousands of other similar records.

so now your claiming some kind of divine right to drive where you like :loopy:

No improvement in your English comprehension then, I've said nothing of the sort.

hey guess what I`ve been fitting today ............ ANPR enabled cctv, its watching you and there is NOTHING you can do about it.

It's amazing how many different jobs you apparently have!

But my point was that both systems could be interrogated by the powers that be IF anyone was bothered.

For the vast bulk of us the zillions of movements we make past a camera or the tracking of a simm card in town down to a hundred yards (the conversations we've had and the texts we've sent and the zillions of emails) are of and will be of no detailed interest to anyone, legitimately or not.

The cameras, after all, will only look for a strategic overview of traffic movements, surely.

For that reason, I'm quite relaxed about it all - I have far more pressing concerns in my life (and principles to stand up for) to get wound up about a record of my passing a camera on a spreadsheet buried as it will be by tens of thousands of other similar records.

You mentioned that you didn't agree with RIPA, neither do I, and that's part of why our texts and who we phoned when are available for a given length of time. But at least that requires a court order.

The ANPR data isn't covered by any such legislation, and whilst it isn't immediately linked up with the DVLA, it's extremely open to abuse by any council officer who has access to it, and I won't be surprised if it the data doesn't end up being routinely shared with other agencies with very little over sight or control.

Just because I have nothing to hide is not a reason to sleep walk into the police state.

The smaller circular cameras with silver/whitish casing, is to catch you if your tax is up to date, you may see them on every roundabout and some been placed on top of traffic lights

Hi Mr Postman

Let me just dispel this myth.

Those cameras are a national network run by the police that retain every "read" for 5 years. That is, they are building up a massive database of the movements of everyone, whether suspected of a crime or not.

The cameras don't "catch" anything - you need police on the ground to do that.

When the police run an operation to catch tax evaders and stolen cars, they simply use a van with a mobile ANPR camera and a load of police just down the road from it.

If you think about it, a massive fixed network of cameras isn't about catching tax evaders because (a) the tax evaders would learn to avoid them and (b) it's way too expensive.

It's about keeping everyone under surveillance.

Good news, folks.

Today's Council meeting adopted a motion proposed by NO2ID with amendments from Cllr Creasy, one of which says:

"(vi) ensure that where Automatic Number Place Recognition (ANPR) is used by

the council the strictest possible safegaurds are in place to protect

citizens’ rights to privacy;"

The motion was passed with 44 votes for, 0 against, and all Labour members abstaining.

The "strictest possible safegaurds" to privacy, in my opinion, are to not store number plate data at all. I have already shown on this thread why it is not necessary to do so.

If the planners continue to argue that they need to store number plate data for donkey's years then they'll be showing contempt for the decision of the elected representatives.

It's about keeping everyone under surveillance.

That's very true, and like most of the recent automated security devices used by this government, it's of little use in tracking real criminals, who will use cloned, stolen, foreign or fake numberplates, or who will switch cars frequently.

We've got the ludicrous situation at the moment where the government is tracking a large proportion of road movements of generally law abiding citizens and also prosecuting millions of them each year for minor traffic offences while foreign registered or fake numberplate cars are free to speed or drive untaxed on our roads because there are far too few traffic police to deal with them. Automated 'enforcement' is no substitute for trained traffic police using the mk1 eyeball.

That's very true, and like most of the recent automated security devices used by this government, it's of little use in tracking real criminals, who will use cloned, stolen, foreign or fake numberplates, or who will switch cars frequently.

Police ANPR record video images too, so not as useless as you think.

Since it relies on identifying a vehicle first before anyone will be likely to look at the video, it's still completely useless.

No one is sat looking through millions of hours of footage in the hope that they happen to spot a known criminal in a car with a cloned plate.

Police ANPR record video images too, so not as useless as you think.
We never said we like the police doing that or that we think it makes it do a better work. If the process is automatic it is likely to be not effective.
That's right, I only worked in the team that operates the traffic signals for 17 years, what do I know?
We've all commented on the results and all of us who have posted here have said the result is unsatisfactory. People tell you daily on this forum that the decisions you have made have led to things being done that we do not believe make traffic any better.

We're at a point I think people wait for you to reply and see what patronising answer you'll provide just to tell you again your decision was wrong. I'm we can tell you that the next business decision you make will be wrong.

Edited by Captain_Scarlet