Mark 'Mozaz' Wallis - 1/08/65 - 23/01/11

Mozez wasn't just an anarchist, they were many sides to him. He was also a legend see the following definaition..Legend means outstanding and achieving fame and notoriety to the extend that a story follows such a person.

He has certainly achieve fame and notoriety one way or another through out Sheffield and beyond. He is certainly a person that will not be forgetten for a long time to come and certainly a character you would find difficult to forget whether you met him online or in real life, therefore I think he deserves to be refered to as a Legend :)

He may not have gone about things the right way all the time but he had his beliefs and you have to admire a man that sticks to those beliefs even if they don't match your own or conform to society. How many of us can honestly hold up our hands and say we have always been true to ourselves in such way. How many of us can sit behind the computer and say we have the same impact on others as Mozez had? I very much doubt many of us can.

The Gardeners Rest on Neepsend Lane holds photography exhibitions. That might be a good spot to show off some of his work.

...with suitable highly-provocative anarchist message written around the base.

i think a life size mozaz statue with just the words "ANTIFA" and maybe a plaque saying who it is would be awesome :)

would really **** the nazis off lol

i think a life size mozaz statue with just the words "ANTIFA" and maybe a plaque saying who it is would be awesome :)

would really **** the nazis off lol

Sounds like a great idea to me.:)

Anarchist trouble-maker: yes.

Typical: no.

absolutely - I've met many 'anarchists' (middle class student types) and many 'trouble makers' but I've never known a mark wallis before or since.

he was unique in every way - good and bad

rest in peace mozaz..sheffield wont be the same without you! x

I know this thread is a bit of a Mozaz lovefeast but stuff of legends, oh come on.

At the end of the day he we just your typical anarchist trouble maker.

he was always very passionate about all the causes he was involved with.i remeber talking with him about a housing issue with a manager at housing ass i worked at and he had his say and was very heated.. but after the interview had finished we shook hands and talked about the time we had in shirecliffe house. i would not say he was a trouble maker just someone who stood up for his ideals

just remembered an old newspaper cutting i have of him, ill scan it in and post it in the next couple of days.

Ecco warrior walks free

about a protest they took part in at HJ Banks opencast mining company

I see there is a comment on there questioning whether he ever held down a job or contributed to society via tax and NI.

As if what someone does for a living is the most important aspect of a person's character or worth. Some of the nastiest people on the planet have held down good jobs. Harald Shipman was a respected GP, didn't make him into a good person.

Probably LordChaverly judging by his post on this thread. I think one of the best things Mozaz did was help set up and run the Matilda social centre. It was a place that people, often those on the margins of society, could get together with others, get a cheap meal, put on a gig and importantly, participate in its running. It gave some people a chance to participate meaningfully in something rather than just be a passive recipient of something. Even some right-wingers would find something to like in that; Mozaz would probably have enjoyed asking them if they wanted to join in :hihi:

I was one of the people with Mozaz in the last days of his life, and at the end (well- nearly at the end, the old bugger decided not to hang on 5 extra minutes for us...typical), and it's so nice to read some of the comments on here about him. He was indeed one of a kind.......but he has left me with one last headache. Where to hold his wake?? We'd have loved to have used the Fat Cat- but it is simply too small. I am going to call the blue moon cafe tomorrow and see if it's possible for them to close- mobile bar maybe???? ANyway, I'm struggling for ideas- not least of all because it's hard to know how many people will turn up...I think it's likely to be 200ish though...but it could be 20 it could be 500!!! Any thoughts?

I knew him in the 80's, hanging about at NACRO where he started his interest in photography. He wrote me poetry, a line I remember most likening my hair to a black bin bag!

A powerful character, who's memory will live on. I remember him with a smile x

I was one of the people with Mozaz in the last days of his life, and at the end (well- nearly at the end, the old bugger decided not to hang on 5 extra minutes for us...typical), and it's so nice to read some of the comments on here about him. He was indeed one of a kind.......but he has left me with one last headache. Where to hold his wake?? We'd have loved to have used the Fat Cat- but it is simply too small. I am going to call the blue moon cafe tomorrow and see if it's possible for them to close- mobile bar maybe???? ANyway, I'm struggling for ideas- not least of all because it's hard to know how many people will turn up...I think it's likely to be 200ish though...but it could be 20 it could be 500!!! Any thoughts?

Have you thought about The Gardeners Rest. It is fairly big and in good urban setting. The last time we were there too they had an exhibition of locals' photos up so you could combine the wake with displaying a collection of Mozaz's photos. I believe a large number of people would turn up.