Sheffield council rehousing dilema

<takes mod hat off for a minute>

How is your property going to be too big if your partner moves in with you?

What exactly makes either of you priority enough to jump the queue over someone else who may have more need of this empty property? you both have a property, either of which you could live in.

I cant see anywhere in any post iv stated that mines too big,its 16 miles from my gf eldest boys school and friends,and she doesnt want to move out to deepcar and uproot her eldest.

Im not asking to jump a que,as its not been advertised yet,its vacant,noboddy can bid on it.

we cant live in her property as iv 4 other children,and one is a young girl,with a VERY difficult mother whose given me trouble in the past over acsess to her,once stopping me seeing her for 18 months....so we dont have 2 we can live in,we have one,mine,in deepcar......

If there are needy people,in need of this property,does that mean there are not needy people in need of BOTH our propertys?

the maths doesn't worrk.

1) your gf moves in with you... that still leaves two houses freed up for others.. her property and the one that's currently empty.

2) you move in with the gf... that also still leaves two houses freed up for others:- your property, and the one that's currently empty

The maths does work if you consider the circumstances,we could both carrying on living apart,in homes were quite happy to live in,and someone else moves into the vacant property which all means......someone doesnt get one of ours.

BUT>>>make it possible for us to live TOGETHER,as a proper FAMILY,and someone that needs a property in either deepcar or handsworth,gets one.....pretty simple maths really!!

In actual fact,as its not been advertised,you would free up TWO propertys LOL! and house TWO EQUALLY needy families

Edited by staninoodle

<takes mod hat off for a minute>

How is your property going to be too big if your partner moves in with you?

What exactly makes either of you priority enough to jump the queue over someone else who may have more need of this empty property? you both have a property, either of which you could live in.

Why dont people try firing up thier brains,if was as simple as moving into my house,do you not think wed have already done that????? durrrrrrr:huh::huh::huh::huh::huh:

Try reading the thread DOH!

I do understand what you are saying however the way the system works if a property becomes empty such as this in Treeton everyone will have the chance to bid on it including you....that's fairness.

Although you vacating 2 houses for this one does in principle make sense, social housing aims to address what people need.

You will be able to bid like everyone else.

Of course it's not equal for all. How is it equal that I have to go out to work and pay for my lifestyle when others just have a couple of kids and get it given to them?

If I wanted a council property I'd have to build up waiting time and wouldn't be considered for priority as I'm working. They'd expect me to rent privately in a property that I could afford - and quite rightly.

This person should be happy that they have a roof as there are many people with children who aren't quite so lucky.

im talking about fairness, as sues budgie pointed out below there will be a need for social housing for people in work, i private rent and work because i cant get social housing despite being on the WL for 9 years, priorty applicants always get there first, private rent costs more than social housing and then theres bonds to gather and the rent in advance, some ppl in work cant even get this kind of money together the state this countries in at the mo

you state that them who have a couple of kids just have it given to them, and then theres ppl with kids who arnt quite so lucky, thats my point, why do some families with kids get properties and some dont?

im afraid the sheffield removed> council dont work that way ,annoying i know,-post an advert through the empty house's door you're after offerring exchange to one of yours to the tennant who eventually wins the bid for it, bid for it yourself too when it comes round for bidding!!!,

TBH council i the past never helped me. Even if you got priority they'd force you to take the first available house they offer, or remove the priority, its rubbish,

So i eventually went private rent for the area i wanted to be in,Paid a bit more, saving for a deposit to eventually go for my own, i say if you want better, aim for better :)

go for it and do it yourself , dont rely on them, looking at the sheffield property shop these days you either have to have priority or at least 10 yrs wait..and chances are priority applicants always get them

thats so true me and my husband have 3 girls between us and a new baby on the way and we have be bidding on 3 bedroom house for yrs now and getting no where. we dont knw the sex of the new baby and are finding hard to have to tell the girls they going to have to get used to soon having a baby in with them the oldest girl now 12 and likes to get up earlier then the others to get ready for school and sharing a bed room is waking them up could really do with her own room . we even bid on houses in the same area that we live in now which is woodthopre and still get no where :(

im talking about fairness, as sues budgie pointed out below there will be a need for social housing for people in work, i private rent and work because i cant get social housing despite being on the WL for 9 years, priorty applicants always get there first, private rent costs more than social housing and then theres bonds to gather and the rent in advance, some ppl in work cant even get this kind of money together the state this countries in at the mo

you state that them who have a couple of kids just have it given to them, and then theres ppl with kids who arnt quite so lucky, thats my point, why do some families with kids get properties and some dont?

If someone has children and they approach Sheffield Homes, chances are they will always be assessed and awarded priority status if it is on the grounds of homelessness, domestic violence etc. as the priority is for the needs of the children more than anything. Which is fine in my eyes.

BUT, the problem stems from people, such as the person in this thread, who already claims to be overcrowded in a 1 bed flat with a child, and who has become pregnant again. She then has a go at the council for not rehousing her. Surely the responsibility is on the person, not the council?

thats so true me and my husband have 3 girls between us and a new baby on the way and we have be bidding on 3 bedroom house for yrs now and getting no where. we dont knw the sex of the new baby and are finding hard to have to tell the girls they going to have to get used to soon having a baby in with them the oldest girl now 12 and likes to get up earlier then the others to get ready for school and sharing a bed room is waking them up could really do with her own room . we even bid on houses in the same area that we live in now which is woodthopre and still get no where :(

And again, if your property is not suitable for the amount of children you already have, why have more?

You have made yourself overcrowded, why should someone else fix it?

It's the double edged sword in that, it's not the childrens' fault for the situation so they should be helped, but the parents should be responsible enough to not bring another life in to the world until they have a suitable situation, instead of just doing something and hoping someone else sorts it out for them.

There would be 4 people,fulltime,but iv 4 other children who come to stay regulary,3 of which are young adults not in education.

It may well be theres a deserving single mom of 3 in woodhouse thats more deserving,and if she gets it,thats fair enough.

But,if i get it,the same single moms in deepcar and stocksbridge will benefit,as would the same single mom in handsworth,also,my gfs son gains a dad,and my 10 month old son would get a fulltime dad,and 2 people that want to create a stable,loving caring home,can do so.

Of course theres rules and fairness,and im willing to abide by them,all im saying is,my way,there are FAR more winners,and it makes a LOT more sense

Council properties are let on the basis of who will be LIVING with you. Not who might turn up every so often. The other "children" will not be living with you, so you can make provision for when they do turn up.

Do they all turn up at once or one at a time?

have you tried advertising on here for a exchange at least that way its another chance that you still might get what you want ?

And again, if your property is not suitable for the amount of children you already have, why have more?

You have made yourself overcrowded, why should someone else fix it?

It's the double edged sword in that, it's not the childrens' fault for the situation so they should be helped, but the parents should be responsible enough to not bring another life in to the world until they have a suitable situation, instead of just doing something and hoping someone else sorts it out for them.

if u had read my post i said we had all ready been bidding for yrs and the fact is we work and we pay rent im not having kids just for money and to get a new house .... we where told yrs ago that if we had boys we should make the front room our bedroom which i would think about doing getting a bed settee and why judge me just cause we are having another child. i put my kids 1st and always will . my house is up for exchange on here and on gum tree .

i also knw many ppl who have been bidding for yrs with more childern then me who live in 2 bedhouses we make the best of it and really i love my little home we hae lived here for 10 yrs and the kids love it here we have spent loads of money getting the house how we want . its just the bidding thing dosent work that all we are on about . this man has gone to the council with an offer to swap two houses for one and i myself feel thats a fair deal its not like the house he was after was up for bidding on it was to come up with in a fews wks.

i also knw a single mum that has 2 teenagers a boy and a girl who was married when she had her children and has now been told by sheffield homes that she should share a bedroom with her daughter as she has no man living with her is this fair???? we are told girls and boys can not share yet she bids and cant get moed just cause she has no man ??

Edited by fliketyflic1
adding more