The Market Tavern

Avoid Market tavern, its a dump cant walk past it wihtout getting high on fumes, i work down road from it and would rather go round another way then walk past it.

its night time potential is not great no passing trade.

Its not used by market traders a lot, mainly dole bum wasters inside it and afro carribean men stand outside it alongside wafer thin white girls with scraped back hair and the invarible brown child in pram.

Is that inflammetry, no its the truth. Walk past it every day for two weeks and have a look.

My sister had a go at running the Market Tavern a few years ago. The place is literally falling down around itself. The higher up you go the worse it gets.

Then there's the cellar which has been concreted up except for the one half size door :rolleyes:

I know this thread is years old but it's much younger than the snot, pi$$, tobacco stains, $hi*, and whatever else there is in there.

Ohh..... And it's only visitors are old men and druggies!

Originally posted by kirky

i'm working at dennis hobsons boxing club tonight,ive just been to set my gear up and its a top little venue(formaly the victoryclub worksop rd) no houses near it at all so you could make as much noise as you like.i reckon you'd get 100+ in there no probs.

I did the bar up in there last year for Dennis, nice bloke - he introduced us to Tim Witherspoon while we were there. Decent venue and as you say no houses near by.

Didn`t the upstairs bit have a different name in the eighties?

didn`t they try and run it as a niteclub /late licence place

or was it just a regular lock in ?

Originally posted by kirky

give this place a wide berth,its a right dump full of the dreggs of society.....worst 3 pubs in sheffield city centre..market tavern,hen and chickens and the cannon.......

I agree about the market tavern & cannon however the chickens has been taken over recently & the new landlady has kicked out the druggies & shoplifters my m8 works ther now & says it has been cleaned up alot

Originally posted by sheffbag

Avoid Market tavern, its a dump cant walk past it wihtout getting high on fumes, i work down road from it and would rather go round another way then walk past it.

its night time potential is not great no passing trade.

Its not used by market traders a lot, mainly dole bum wasters inside it and afro carribean men stand outside it alongside wafer thin white girls with scraped back hair and the invarible brown child in pram.

Is that inflammetry, no its the truth. Walk past it every day for two weeks and have a look.

that is so true but to be honest you get most types like that at any post office on a tuesday on any council estate

isbn't the Market Tav still closed in dark hours?

Originally posted by robbie

isbn't the Market Tav still closed in dark hours?

i think so ive never seen it open at night when ive walked past

Market Tavern is open at night. I ventured in last night at about 8pm. Have to say that I didnt stay very long...

11 years after last commenting on this thread its me again! Does anyone have any stories/ info/ pics they would like to share on this place for my book?

[email protected]

Do really want to known about this pub given it end up like the Cannon.

Best bar snacks in Sheffield