Isn't it funny how people have only got their cars out of the snow today?

No, it's not funny at all! We've been digging at ours for 3 days. A Parcel Force van got stuck on our road yesterday and it took several hours and 8 people to eventually get it on to the main road - but our car is on an incline so it was skidding in the snow/ice. We managed, with the help of neighbours to get it outt of the drive. Going along the road it's very tricky as it's not been gritted and we're skating on 5-6 inches of solid impacted snow. Not looking forward to next week if we get more snow on top of this. Hubby has been working from home, so he's done more work as he's had no traveling time. Just because you may live in an area where you can get out, or live close to a main road that's been gritted don't assume everyone else is as lucky. Today's the first day the buses have been running out our end so people have been struggling on foot for the most part.

it could be the fact that it hasnt snowed in 48 hours so the roads that been cleared have stayed clear and gritters and plough are able to move onto smaller roads, and with all the major roads being clear people feel safer going out in thier cars knowing they wont get stuck anywhere.

I wouldn't pretend for a second some people have been 'selective' with when they've dedcided they have the effort to clear their drives out but shall we see through our joyous 'holier-than-thou' cynicism for a second and remember two things;

1. The heaviest snow was Saturday and much of the snow has been melting the last few days with many roads and driveways now starting to clear so obviously today would be the first day many cars have been 'freed'.

2. Many people use the car to get to work as a convenience only - they may well be able to walk or get the bus. This week they may have thought - "I can walk or get the bus on the main roads and be in by 9am - if I dig out my car I can probably only get in for midday or later". In this scenario these people could be classed as the ones who have wasted work time.

Why are so many people on the Sheffield Forum so cynical and black & white about things?

Now that the cars have gone hopefully the bus operators can ge tback to normal there are some services that are now running on right route soley due to cars been parked with snow on.

The thing is of course as people have said today most people are off and friends / family are off today so they can help them to move it, and the weather as helped today .

On wednesday evening between williams and woodseats libarary ( about a 1/4mile) i counted 38 abandened cars - soem are still here today

Crookes

Spent 2 hours digging out car Wed

Put bins in space so I could get back on my space which worked well

When I did get back (Sat) after 1/2 hr jam in Crookes someone had moved bins and parked their car.

I was rather angry but girlfriend said I wasnt in the right???????

What do you think??;)

how everybody seems to be able to get all their cars out today which had previously been completely 'snowed in' Monday-Friday. Come Saturday I've seen loads of people work for hours to get their cars out.... Wonder why :suspect: Would It be different if it was a Monday ?!

I don't need my car for work so why wouldn't I dig it out until today? I worked from home Weds and either walked or bussed it in to town every day this week.

AndrewC, actually the heaviest snow was Tuesday night, 5" in 2 hours here, nothing like that fell on Saturday as I was easily able to drive my car on Sunday plus buses were going up and down Woodseats Rd until Tuesday night.

I haven't touched my car for a week, as it refused to come out of the garage where it was nice and warm.,the wimp.

maybe some people listened to advice given to them by the police etc. dont drive unless its really necassary :huh:

i wish i was one of those people...after loads of diggin i still cant move my car :(

I'm with you Sambilena.

I'm still snowed in thanks to the council.

No gritters and no grit bin , but I must add it has thawed some today

maybe Littleone didn't know we had a temperature rise.

AndrewC, actually the heaviest snow was Tuesday night, 5" in 2 hours here, nothing like that fell on Saturday as I was easily able to drive my car on Sunday plus buses were going up and down Woodseats Rd until Tuesday night.

Don't know why I said Saturday - that is today :). I meant Wednesday. My points still stand are perfectly valid in my opinion.

None of this explains why there are so many arses on this forum!