What was your first job and where ?

shaznay

1967, aged 15 and a half. Left school (CTS because of cretinous, sadistic staff) to become a junior soldier. Went on to join regulars in 1969 in Germany (God's country) and left in 1978. Apart from odd good experience, an absolute waste of 11 and a half years of my life (Except for 2 years spent in Germany).

My first job was a Saturday job on a cooked meat stall in Castle Market in 1972. I used to open the tins and carry the meat out to the slicer but I wasn't allowed to use the slicer. I also had to wash the trays the meat had been on. I felt really grown up when I was allowed to serve customers. All for £5 a day. Happy days.

Nice one chimay. You grew up 'proper'.:)

Thanks Saxon, I loved the hustle and bustle of the market. In 1975 I had a summer holiday job in a bakery/cafe just across from the Castle Market. The shop was like a Baker's Oven/Greggs but I can't remember it's name anymore. I had to clear tables, wash the pots, sweep the floors, replenish the counters but I wasn't allowed to serve the customers. I got paid £16 for a 5 day week. Best thing of all was being allowed a free cake at the end of the day. :)

My first job when I left Yew Lane in 1958 was at this massive sewing factory somewhere in town. What a din! I lasted a whole one and half days, then I couldn't stand the noise anymore and walked out. :hihi:

My first job when I left Yew Lane in 1958 was at this massive sewing factory somewhere in town. What a din! I lasted a whole one and half days, then I couldn't stand the noise anymore and walked out. :hihi:

My first job when I left college was in a sewing factory (not in Sheffield) making Y fronts for M&S. I lasted 6 weeks until I got a job in Rotherham.