Losing sleep over this mouse - help!

Jubly

Hi all, this is a bit gross but it's finally worked for me. I've had mice ever since I moved in to my old terraced house...under the sink, at the top of the cellar steps, front room - even my bedroom, which totally freaked me out...I tried so many things, to no avail (I was once caught at midnight by someone in some bushes at the end of my road in my marigolds, massaging a mouse's feet off a glue trap with extra virgin olive oil (only oil I had to hand)...only glad it wasn't the coppers as I must have looked well shady.. ;))

Anyway, after years and years of the little varmints causing mayhem (chewed through wires throughout the house at various times) and being generally unnerving I did something by instinct and it seems to have worked.

I got a dog in January and, as tempting as it was to stick him under the sink (ha - he's a big, infrequently incontinent greyhound!), I had another idea: when my dog wee'd on the floor (he was/is generally housetrained but occasionally wee's due to excitement or because I've left him too late) I decided to put the kitchen roll I'd use to mop the fresh wee up in the places where I knew the mice were. And I haven't seen hide nor hair since. Not a one.

It may just be coincidence, or my dog's presence (tho he's a big ungainly couch potato when he's in the house so I can't really imagine him turning into a snappy terrier when I'm not here), but it definitely stopped dead when I started putting the kitchen roll down.

In fact, he did a wee an hour ago - which reminded me about this thread...so, yes it's gross, but if anyone wants some (wee)mouse-deterrent, let me know!

:)

magic foam with some sort of mesh is good for the holes, a similar method but perhaps a little more dignified that leaving dog wee in the cupboards (great effort by the way) is to get a pet rat. Mice will not infest where there is a rat present. If anyone tries this then let us know the results.

i suppose the problem with this is you may be scared of having a pet rat! but i have heard some good results from this!

Failing that get a mouse pest control proofing company out there!

We had a problem with mice and voles coming in. Caught them no problem with the human traps, we also put some special "Ratty" power down on their little mouse runs, that way you can quickly see if you get more (and I think it acts a deterrent). However, since we got out cat we don't have a mouse problem anymore... :)

We have had mice a couple of times and always had success with humane traps. Just use some of whatever they have been pinching in the kitchen. Seems to fool them every time. Just make certain you check the traps at least twice a day and then you have to let them go a long way from home.

Last Sept me and the girlfriend returned from a 2 week holiday and whilst unpacking our stuff we noticed a mouse poke his head out from behind the fridge. We were slightly alarmed but it was getting late and we figured that he would only be in the kitchen trying to get at the food. So we went to bed, making sure the bedroom door was shut...... that night I had a very vivid dream where I was crawling over broken glass and with large pieces sticking into my knuckles. When I awoke I had scratch and teeth marks all down my fingers with a small amount of blood on the bed. Upon closer inspection we found mouse poo's behind the bed and bedside tables.

Needless to say, I now make sure my hands are kept well under the duvet at night!!!!