Are funeral directors making too much profit out of their work?

Most people have no idea what a thoroughly unpleasant job funeral directors have. Without being too graphic, the family of the dearly departed only see the tip of the iceberg on the day of the funeral. Personally, I think they deserve every penny.

• 4 weeks later...

There is no doubt that funeral directors and big corporations are cashing in on peoples grief, the overwhelming cost of dying is getting out of hand, in this desperate economic climate, these people are disgusting and arrogant in their attitudes towards the treatment of people at their most vunerable time. I say whenever possible you try and do you our funeral, as most are doing in the USA the savings by doing this are quite substantial by far and i am sure your loved one's would want you to be financially secure rather than be in debt to the point of being blacklisted for this very reason. Another point about the funeral proffesion is this...what exactly makes them a proffesional anyway? qualification wise.... they are certainly not recognised by any governing body, its only within the industry and again not even by all in the proffesion as a good friend of mine pointed out, so the eyebrows must be raised about this point with regards to their so called proffesional fees, they are a law unto themselves and should be regulated. I feel anyone with an ouce os savvy can do this proffesional I am not impressed with there cold calculated approach to the extortion of monies from the poeple who fall victim to these parasites.........a limo is a car?......a coffin is a cheap woodern box?.........is embalming required really?.........do you need a unqualified pompus oaf selling you a funeral and walking in front of your loved one, while you walk behind(although some do walk behind with more respect)?..............think about it,if you can use a phone do so its a lot cheaper and there is a lot of help out their, stop lining their pockets,

Edited by Ripporf

Ah, apparently not 'available' in the UK..

http://www.funeralinspirations.co.uk/information/Sky-Burial.html

Organ or Body Donation, sounds like a cheap option too; for those on a budget.

http://www.funeralinspirations.co.uk/information/Organ-Body-Donation.html

Not because of a budget, but I want to donate my body to medical science... they can have it as I won't be needing it.

Has anyone ever done this? Does it have to go in your will or do you just tell your OH?

Isn't the extortionate price of Funeral Directors a complete rip-off? Though there are payment schemes to help out, these parlours are forcing us over a barrel for something we all must go through- at a high price!

That is ripping off many families for whom the deceased may not have provided for?

Can people still have (or request) pauper's burials, thereby bypassing this disgusting rip-off?

I hope your descendents think that much about you.:confused:

Isn't the extortionate price of Funeral Directors a complete rip-off? Though there are payment schemes to help out, these parlours are forcing us over a barrel for something we all must go through- at a high price!

That is ripping off many families for whom the deceased may not have provided for?

Can people still have (or request) pauper's burials, thereby bypassing this disgusting rip-off?

If you make sufficient provision for your demiss, what is the problem, you can be buried in your back garden if you want but if you are so stingy you could go to the tip.

A friend of mine buried his father-in-law (estranged) a few months ago and did everything on 'the cheap' as they couldn't afford anything more. Had cheapist coffin, only hurst and 1 car etc and it still cost them £7000+ and from what I have heard, these prices are going to go up dramatically over the next few years! I'm guessing it's just becuase they can!

Have you thought about burial at sea, cheapskate?.

This does remind me of a friend of mine whose grandfather wanted his ashes scasttered on york racing course ( he was a long time punter).

His son and grandson took his ashes to york but the course was closed so they decided to throw them throught the railings, it was a windy day and he said, we took him in an urn and brought him back in out turnups ( when trousers had turnups ).