DIABETES thread.. do you suffer with it??

Hi,

I have browsed through this section and couldnt see a thread for people suffering with diabetes.

I just thought it would be nice to meet other people out there that suffer with it and interesting to know how people cope day to day and also if people have any other complications due to diabetes.

Look forward to hearing from others :)

Hi Amy,

I've also PM you!

I also have diabetes type 1 and like everyone with it, find it a daily challenge. However as I am also a Psychotherapist I have developed much better ways to cope with it over the years.

I recently experienced being told I have a serious long term complication of the condition. When I discovered this there were 2 ways in which I could deal with it, thanks to the strategies I now use, I manage this much better than I might have done years ago.

For anybody who has diabetes, be it type 1 or type 2 it might be useful to visit my site and have a read of mindful diabetes.

This is basically an appreciation of the complex and difficult nature of diabetes and what we have to cope with from a psychological point of view on a daily basis, as I firmly believe it is misunderstood by many people who do not have experience of it.

I too am starting a support group called Mindful Diabetes in which I will be organising various around the country, including Sheffield as that is where I am from. This will give diabetics of all kinds to meet together if they want to openly discuss and share some of the difficulties they face as well as an opportunity to learn about some of the positives, experiences and strategies from one an other.

I am really pleased you have started this thread and are more than welcome to join me in this, regarding Sheffield and your thoughts are very welcome.

My main aim in this is to show everyone with the condition that you also have a life beyond diabetes and it's trials and tribulations, although this can sometimes be difficult to see or do - I say this because I have been there. It's amazing how much you can improve your life and condition with a different, brighter outlook. Been around like minded positive people that are more problem solvers than creators can make us all feel better. I therefore want to create this opportunity for everyone as it is so easy when you are diabetic to get consumed in a negative outlook sometimes from the medical world and even the rest of society but non of us should accept this and together non of us have to.

Regards

Em, Mindful help & Mindful Diabetes

Hi Amy, Hi Em. A diabetes support group would be great. I have been told recently that I have impaired glucose tolerance ( a sort of pre diabetes). I have since lived as if I have diabetes with the same diet. I would love to know that there was a good website to give advice about diet.

Hi Amy, Hi Em. A diabetes support group would be great. I have been told recently that I have impaired glucose tolerance ( a sort of pre diabetes). I have since lived as if I have diabetes with the same diet. I would love to know that there was a good website to give advice about diet.

Hello Rosa,

nice to hear from you! I'm not sure if this will apply to you, however if you go on our website and on the left hand side it says mindful diabetes click on the button and it will give you all the info. However if you would like to know more about the nutritional side of things and how I manage this and have even helped some pre diabetes people please email me direct via the site.

Thanks

Em

Thanks Em, I will look at your website for tips. Will email you if I am still unsure.

Hiya, i have just been diagnoised with diabettes and would love support and help, because i aint got a clue with it, i will visit yr site mindful and thanks x

Hiya, i have just been diagnoised with diabettes and would love support and help, because i aint got a clue with it, i will visit yr site mindful and thanks x

Hello Angels,

thank you! If there's anything we can do please just let us know, by all means you can contact us via our site.

Take care

Hi are you insulin dependant? I am still confussed with my sugars and would be nice to share experience if you would like- may help us both :)

please pm me

Hi everyone ..I dont have Diabetes , but i was a single parent with my son Adam who was diagnosed with it in April 86 ( he was 7 years old at the time ) He was described as a 'Brittle Diabetic ' .. his blood tests would vary from 1.5 (very low ) right up to 40 and above on a regular basis .

During the following years , Adam had countless admissions to Hospital ,and when he was at School , they would often ring me to say he'd had a 'Bad Hypo' during a lesson .( I was taught how to administer a Glucagon injection by Hospital Doctors ,so i'd inject him in the Classroom , as the Staff weren't allowed to perform this procedure ) Adam started having Kidney and eyesight problems around 2004 , before he passed away due to Diabetic Complications in June 2008 ( he was just 29 years old ) ...Diabetes can be such a 'cruel' illness ..thanks for taking time to read this ..GUZZI

OMG thank you for sharing your experiences.. I did not know how bad diabetes could get. I have got other long term illness' due to diabetes that I have to take medication for and am getting frustrated with it.

I did not think for one second that diabetics could result in death- its made me think more about things so thank you :) x

My 10 year old son has type 1. I'd love to be able to share my experiences with others and to hear other peoples stories. Great thread.

if you are "pre-diabetic", have a look at something called the GI diet, (GI = Glycaemic Index) you can find info on the net about it if you google.

A friend of mine was pre diabetic, and went on the GI diet, and had some good results from it, including astounding weightloss.

(PS, I'm a Type I diabetic of many years' standing)