Am I islamophobic?

Oh, I didn't realise he was being serious! Is he insane or just scared of others opinions?

Whilst I agree that banning religion is utterly immoral and illiberal, and absolutely should not be done; it's incredibly silly to say it makes him as bad as those guys. They did a little more than just ban religion, don't be so dramatic.

Ach Jimmy, what's life without a bit of drama? In any case it wasn't my intention to imply that the poster was evil' but to suggest that any concerted effort to ban a religion would be evil.

My understanding of the term 'phobia' is that it is an irrational fear. What if you're well informed, have thought everything through and dislike something because it conflicts with all your principles and everything that you hold dear?

Oh in that case it's not a very good descriptive word, I think it's very rational.

Oh, I didn't realise he was being serious! Is he insane or just scared of others opinions?

See my earlier reply! Certainly not insane but a little perturbed that an otherwise apparently rational person would want to ban religion.

My understanding of the term 'phobia' is that it is an irrational fear. What if you're well informed, have thought everything through and dislike something because it conflicts with all your principles and everything that you hold dear?

I would say that your attitude is informed, rational and eminently sensible. :)

Oh in that case it's not a very good descriptive word, I think it's very rational.

I think it would be highly rational to be worried by some of the practices carried out in the name of Islam - deeply irrational to be suspicious or condmnatory of the individual Muslim man or woman in the street.

I would say that your attitude is informed, rational and eminently sensible. :)

Thank you Grahame. We must stop agreeing like this!:hihi:

See my earlier reply! Certainly not insane but a little perturbed that an otherwise apparently rational person would want to ban religion.

Nah, it's impratctical and does actually keep an awful lot of people in check. But as Mr G pointed out, the principals of a religion and the practice of religion usually have an immense gulf between the two. Given the choice of stopping people worshipping or stopping some poor lasses head being staved in by rocks which would you plump for?

However, a different solution would be welcome if it allowed 'nice' religious people to go to church and quietly worship in their own way, and stopped 'nasty' religious people hurting others due to misinterpretations (or deliberate changes to) text that are all over a millenia old. This seems to cover all religions... the mental bible belters in America, the Islamic extremists of various places, the 'considered response' of the Jewish nations to the existance of a freely elected political party, etc. etc. etc. Religion is often as bad as politics!

I think it would be highly rational to be worried by some of the practices carried out in the name of Islam - deeply irrational to be suspicious or condmnatory of the individual Muslim man or woman in the street.

At last someones learning ..sadly the individual muslim is a part of the irrationality that is Islam..separate harmless ..united...well!!

What are they cocking a snook at? They're arbitration tribunals, just like the disciplinary panel of the Football Association. They only hear civil matters and all parties have to agree to the arbitration. They don't supercede English Law which all parties can choose to be heard by if they want to.

To be honest I dont know what the problem is, it's probably far cheaper and quicker than taking a matter through a civil court, and also frees up court time from hearing matters that can be sorted out within the community.

Your very naive if you believe that claptrap..I could cite an example but the case doesnt come up until early next year,it will be interesting to see just what is revealed in court..I'll remind you of it when it comes up

Your very naive if you believe that claptrap..I could cite an example but the case doesnt come up until early next year,it will be interesting to see just what is revealed in court..I'll remind you of it when it comes up

90% of their caseload is divorce and we all know the disparities between the treatment of men and women and how it's far harder for a woman to divorce than it is a man. If it only were neighbourly disputes over a fence then I'm sure that no one would bat an eyelid.

Read the online fatwas on the Sharia Council UK website which clearly highlights how their rulings are not compliant with our laws. It's there for all to see yet still we see people in denial.

90% of their caseload is divorce and we all know the disparities between the treatment of men and women and how it's far harder for a woman to divorce than it is a man. If it only were neighbourly disputes over a fence then I'm sure that no one would bat an eyelid.

Read the online fatwas on the Sharia Council UK website which clearly highlights how their rulings are not compliant with our laws. It's there for all to see yet still we see people in denial.

Of course they are in denial. Sharia is largely pacticed by people of an ethnic minority group, so any criticism of Sharia must, just must, be based on racial discrimination.

So, it's far easier to deny there's any problem with Sharia :).

Political correctness isn't just mad round here, it howls at the moon.