Ideas for making Chapeltown a bit better??

Why not put a nice ornate street light in the centre of the traffic island. There used to be one donkey's years ago

Some hanging baskets on the streetlights, again something that used to be done in the 80's.

Some quality signposts for pedestrians directing to Park, Toilets, Newton Hall, Library,

etc.

Welcome to Chapeltown signs (sponsored by ........) on the roads leading in

A Chapeltown website

Chapeltown Park - lights on the paths, vandal proof seats

Get highways to sort out the traffic problems which start in Ecclesfield

A public clock

Get another Tank, put it back where it should be

Edited by Basalt

Thanks surfinjim, will have a look at the bit by chap floors - feel free to join us clearing it up! Also we are planning to do the bit by the new cafe on loundside, by entrance to cricket club. Just getting landlords permission. Also satman2222, have today logged a request with network rail to sort out the pigeon netting and paint the bridge - not holding my breathe but may as well ask!

Where did you contact for that? -we may as well pester them too!

Ok- spotted an area that good do with a good clean/fettle.

Just off of Smith Street behind the railway bridge arches (where Chapeltown Floors are), there is a strip of land which looks ideal for cultivating on. Probably need fencing off, but its just sat there overgrown and full of rubbish.

Jim

There's a small strip of land under the pigeon railway bridge between the newly demolished hut next to the market and the new barber shop that would look nice planted up if you could get some funds.

Streetforce are offering free daffodil and crocus bulbs to community groups, not sure if you've heard about it, or if it will be of any use? You have to ring or email them (email is [email protected])

So chuffed by all the ideas/support -

satman2222 - re bridge you need to call network rail on 0845 7114141 and say its about the bridge on market place chap. i asked them about pigeon netting and also the missing letters on the sign and serious need of paint job. Thanks so much for your idea of calling too - might increase the chance of them sorting it. We did clear that bit under the bridge earlier in the year but the weeds grew back. Bit tricky to know what to plant as its dry shade, but will think about it for next year.

Loads of good ideas (ta basalt), we need to get funding sorted, none of the traders want to contribute and council planters/baskets are mega expensive. Tried to get hanging baskets on some shop fronts, especially the awning bit by spa, but stupid heath and safety worries mean landlords all ban it. Grrrr. Will pass funding ideas from fox20thc and honeyb35 to helen who co-ordinates funding, thanks for all the ideas, will keep you all posted. Just starting out this year so hopefully next year will be more visible improvements for you all to see.

An update: next Chap in Bloom working group meeting sat 25th sept, 10am at methodist church by library for quick refreshments then get going. McDonalds donating lots of their staff to spend a couple of hours too, so we should get some good stuff done. I am even going to take some home-made cake - come join us! ([email protected])

I must just point out before you start that White Lane doesn't join Arundel Road, Station Road does.Hope all goes well !

Just like to say that the area that Brunette refers to does require attention ,its the old entrance to the Greenhead Gardens and still has a WRDC council sign on it BUT some of the land referred to is private gardens of the 2 bed houses ,most of which are now buy to let hence the poor upkeep and the other bits are part of the nursing home grounds ,behind the low wall

Dont know if you travel this far but the top of the farmers fields behind the bus stop opposie ecco school are knee deep in rubbish that the kids drop ,you should get the school involved and show the head the level of rubbish his/her kids are dropping

for those slagging chap ,how many live there? its not any worse than many areas and better than most ,true it has chavvy kids that hang around but as a place its generally ok

chaps ok apart its too close to highgreen an all the three heads

I'd like to say thanks for the work you and your friends do to tidy the place up. Pity more people don't do the same :)

Yeah like you and me

I cannot see any justification for not having a law that makes it compulsory for decent people to have to kick this s***e to death.

I always wonder why they walk around with their hands in their trousers - they look like little toddlers that need a wee wee!

Chap is a little scruffy, I don't think the in bloom people would think twice about ignoring it.

Maybe sort all the litter into piles and return to their origin and dump them in the chipppy, KFC etc.