Stolen mountain bike

That is the whole point - some bikes get shipped to different places in the country, and be taken to many, many trails. So more people can look out for it. They have more chance if put on both places surely?

i would not waste your time with south yorkshire police they are not interested in catching criminals these days there a total waiste of tax payers money

Why would they waste manpower looking for bicycles?If they did a raid on a property for whatever reason and come across anything that has been stolen and reported, it will be returned to the owner.

There was a skinny runt trying to sell me and my sister stolen bikes not so long ago, some crack head who was very gaunt, wore a dayglow work jacket and a red/black backpack. I later saw the same chap stealing a power wash from a house across my road but 3 doors down while i was starting my car for going to work.

So just be aware on S5, he works in a pair , both wear dayglow jackets, ride black bikes, baseball caps, black red rucksacks and white trainers.

The guys were trying to sell us £200 bikes for £5, and his trainers off his feet for £2.

There was a skinny runt trying to sell me and my sister stolen bikes not so long ago, some crack head who was very gaunt, wore a dayglow work jacket and a red/black backpack. I later saw the same chap stealing a power wash from a house across my road but 3 doors down while i was starting my car for going to work.

So just be aware on S5, he works in a pair , both wear dayglow jackets, ride black bikes, baseball caps, black red rucksacks and white trainers.

The guys were trying to sell us £200 bikes for £5, and his trainers off his feet for £2.

Did you report them?

I've just joined the Hillsborough Leisure Centre and the first thing I noticed about the place, is the lack of security cameras. Not sure if they are that covert, that you'll never spot them, but its always in the back of my mind when I park the car, that it may not be there on my return.

Christ, how much was your bike worth?

Soz fella you have no chance of seeing it again. Anyone who has a bike nicked try Gumtree. They are often posted there within hours of being stolen for a quick sale.

You can report stolen bikes here:

http://www.bikeradar.com/forum/index.php?c=11

There are also other databases within our forum which you can report to as well.

Most stolen bikes, especially expensive ones, will be shipped elsewhere in the country. Or you might find a local chav riding it...

If you can provide pics and frame number it will be more helpful.

Oh man - I'm late in on this - but I feel for you. I have had loads nicked over the years as have my friends. I do have some tips though:

Norwich Union insurance - they pay up quickly 100% like for like including tools, lights, computers etc.

Best lock is an Oxford Ground Anchor - sold secure really good value

Best bike storage is www.Asgardsss.co.uk - bomb proof - they are on Bike Radar link above

Don't put you bike on a car rack. Put it in the boot. Out of sight

Just to add to Mr Robinson's post, if any of you are quite serious cyclists then it doesn't hurt to register with British Cycling as they do good bike insurance (and also legal cover for accidents etc )

And another good bike lock is Kryptonite 3000, the Kryptonite company covers theft of your bike if stolen while using it...which is highly unlikely as it's a bloody tough bike lock..

My 2pence worth with regards to insurance. I wanted to add my bike to my house insurance and the majority of compaines would not touch it. I ended up taking out buildings and contents with Green Bee (John Lewis insurance) who cover any item away from the home (including abroad) up to £5000. Seperate bike insurance was a minefield, some wanting silly money, others require an exact type of lock etc and all sorts of proof if it did get stolen. Having decent cover with house insurance is a blessing :)

Did you actually do anything about either incident? - for example call the police while he was still in area.