Anti-Italianism in Sheffield? (anti italianità in Sheffield?)

Might have something to do with the fact 'nonna' means grandmother in Italian...

Yes, we already know Nonna means Grandmother, but "in my grandmother" sounds like a serious case of incest :hihi:

I don't know where Google Translate picks up the word 'my' which alters the meaning totally.

Someone thick enough to have a go at someone foreign-sounding probably has no understanding of what language was being spoken. So I wouldn't describe it as anti-Italian, just plain thick.

Or maybe something to do with the English boy been stabbed by lazio fans in Italy this week

Itay is a great country, populated by great people, unfortunatley, there where a few morons in Rome as it appears there where in Nonas the other evening, console your self with the the thoughts that, the kids in your country are not all obese and that you all have tables to eat off, and you give your kids a chance in life, 9 italians in the Juventus team, 2 english in chelsea team. Good luck.

Itay is a great country, populated by great people, unfortunatley, there where a few morons in Rome as it appears there where in Nonas the other evening, console your self with the the thoughts that, the kids in your country are not all obese and that you all have tables to eat off, and you give your kids a chance in life, 9 italians in the Juventus team, 2 english in chelsea team. Good luck.

It was eighteen months ago. Should have blown over by now.

I am Italian and I am a new user on here. Just few words for my italian mate. I think that you should not take care of this episode. England is a fantastic country because of several aspects that I will not mention on here.

A general remark that can be useful: English ppl have a subtle and deep form to provoke (they call it banter). Obviously this "banter" does not match with the Italian immediate and genuine way to interact with ppl (especially if you come from the south of Italy) and with our form of sarcasm (which is quite strong and so well signalled).

But this belongs to their culture which is based on secrets and deep and hierarchical dependencies through human relations.

Therefore, when you meet idiots in sheffield don't react but smile and say always...never mind if you are false... As regards the rest, I think that in general english ppl appreciate Italians

and remember that we have stupids also in Italy.

Remember that we are in a foreign country.

with my best wishes.

I wonder if any of you who make jokes about the mafia actually realise the seriousness of the situation in Sicily . My husband is Sicilian and the Sicilian people have experienced many appalling incidents over the years . My sister-in-law is involved in the anti mafia campaign as 2 of her friends were blown up by bombs . To speak out so openly is so brave and i admire her so much .I know you are only joking but would you make jokes about the IRA .