Anti-Italianism in Sheffield? (anti italianità in Sheffield?)

Hello, a call to all Italians in Sheffield. I was at Nonna's a few days ago when a few men about 30 came up to me. They could hear i was speaking Italian to my girlfriend, and they started making racist comments.

Has anyone suffered from the same discrimination?

Ciao, un invito a tutti gli italiani a Sheffield. Ero a nonna qualche giorno fa, quando alcuni uomini di circa 30 anni mi si avvicinò. Si sentiva parlavo italiano alla mia fidanzata, e si misero a fare commenti razzisti.

Qualcuno ha sofferto della discriminazione stessa cosa?

Hello, a call to all Italians in Sheffield. I was at Nonna's a few days ago when a few men about 30 came up to me. They could hear i was speaking Italian to my girlfriend, and they started making racist comments.

Has anyone suffered from the same discrimination?

Ciao, un invito a tutti gli italiani a Sheffield. Ero a nonna qualche giorno fa, quando alcuni uomini di circa 30 anni mi si avvicinò. Si sentiva parlavo italiano alla mia fidanzata, e si misero a fare commenti razzisti.

My bold

I'm not Italian, but I would imagine the answer to your question is "yes". Just as it would be "yes" if you asked it of the French, German, Spanish, etc, etc, who live in Sheffield.

Unfortunately, we do have our fair share of brain-dead idiots who simply cannot cope when they come across across anybody who isn't Sheffield born and bred and can't resist the temptation to display their crass ignorance and bad manners by commenting on the difference in some way.

This also applies to British people with non-Sheffield accents, people who dress differently, etc, etc.

I've never heard of anyone singling out Italians for special discrimination, it was probably just a hatred of outsiders generally. Some locals can be rather insular and hostile to any kind of cosmopolitanism. Unfortunately, to some, just being at a cafe on Ecclesall Road marks a person out as a 'toff', a 'snob', 'pretentious' etc (as threads on SF regularly reveal). It's very tiresome.

Chances are, if all they had to go on was that you were Italian, they were probably reacting to a cultural stereotype of what being an Italian man means. If so, then you can rest assured that it was pure envy. :love::hihi:

Being anti-Italian in Nonnas where a good 25% of all conversation is in Italian seems a bit odd. :huh:

For once we are in agreement. The hostility was probably because they suspected that a new coke dealer had come on the scene:o:hihi:

Edit, sorry OP this comment wasn't a dig at you btw.

Edited by wednesday1

Can we have the Sheffield Forum entirely in Italian please?

Just sounds so much, er, sunnier?