Sheffield Central - Did queues put you off?

I think that he would be entitled to call for a by-election in the Sheffield Central seat if there were problems with people being denied their vote. He only lost by 160 votes and it sounds like there could have easily been more than 160 people turned away.

Also interesting I used to be in Central and this time my constituency was altered to Hallam, as were many others I know. I voted lib dem in Hallam where it did not matter given the huge majority. If the constituency boundaries had not been changed lib dems might have taken central given it was only lost by 160 votes. I wonder how many other lid dem voters constituency was changed from central to hallam this election?

Well I've done a trawl of t'internet and apart from "Mike" the only other mention of people being unable to vote in Central is in the Daily Telegraph

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/election-2010/7696873/General-Election-2010-Probes-into-fraudulent-polling-results-mar-election.html

In Sheffield Central, where there were also chaotic scenes, Paul Scriven, the Liberal Democrat candidate, lost by just 165 votes to Labour's Paul Blomfield,

Students in Sheffield were told to wait until "permanent residents" had voted before they got their chance – and the delay meant that it was too late for many to cast their votes.

however as the "permanent residents" story relates to Ranmoor in Hallam constituency the Telegraph have either got their facts wrong - or by running two unconnected facts were trying to stir things.

Also interesting I used to be in Central and this time my constituency was altered to Hallam, as were many others I know. I voted lib dem in Hallam where it did not matter given the huge majority. If the constituency boundaries had not been changed lib dems might have taken central given it was only lost by 160 votes. I wonder how many other lid dem voters constituency was changed from central to hallam this election?

The boundary changes worked in the Lib Dems favour.

Central gained Broomhill and Walkley which have Lib Dem councillors and lost Burngreave which is Labour.

Hi

This is the Sheffield Central result for 2005

Labour: 13978 (46.6%)

Liberal Democrat: 9171 (30.6%)

Conservative: 3165 (10.6%)

Other: 3662 (12.2%)

Majority: 4807 (16%)

Before Boundary changes

Guest sibon
I realise this is some time on from the election now but I'm trying to find out if there are any grounds to re do the Sheffield Central vote esp as there were only 165 votes in it.

I had no problem whatsoever voting in Central. I don't know of anyone else who did either.

I would be interested in a re-run though. I agonised for ages between Labour and Lib Dem. Clegg's subsequent climb into bed with Cameron, has spared me that dilemma in future. I bet I'm not alone:)

Go on, Lib Dems, campaign for a by election in Sheffield Central.

Also interesting I used to be in Central and this time my constituency was altered to Hallam, as were many others I know.

Out of interest where do you live? Struggling to think of anywhere in Central that went to Hallam.

There's an area that was in the old Netherthorpe ward around Commonside that went Central>Hallam, but most of the movement was the other way round so Central gained a lot of people in Broomhill and Walkley and lost Burngreave.

There's an area that was in the old Netherthorpe ward around Commonside that went Central>Hallam, but most of the movement was the other way round so Central gained a lot of people in Broomhill and Walkley and lost Burngreave.

I live near Commonside. For local elections we were in the old Netherthorpe ward (now Central Ward) but are now Broomhill ward - wonder if that means I can now add £££ to the value of my house by advertising it as Broomhill :).

For national elections we have been Sheffield Central constituency for over 20 years.

Hi

there maybe some faint excuse for queues, but absolutely none for running out of ballet papers

i toltally agree there were so many things messed up with the polling stations like lack of staff, ballott papers and unorganisation in generall. they shud of been much more prepaird for something this big a deal if u ask me, but hey thats just my opinion