Abbeydale garden centre closing to become the new station carpark?

Hi.

Heard a rumour the other day that Abbeydale garden centre will close this summer as the land it stands on is owned by network rail and they want to use the land to extent the car park of Dore and Totley station.

Has anyone else heard anything as I cant find any news about it yet.

During various meetings about the car park at dore it was always said that the option of using the abbeydale garden centre site as a car park would be too expensive due to the cost of buying the businesses out.

Remember that if BR hadnt used the site for other purposes (business and flats) then this problem wouldn't have existed !

Heard the rumour from a supplier to the garden centre so can only assume that the business leases are up if its true.

More a park and ride into Sheffield / Manchester than just station car park.

Not sure how valid it is but I've heard it, OP has heard it.

The people who own Abbeydale also own Ferndale. In today's business world I would think that it would make sense to focus on one site.

I heard it was going to be a bus terminus....... cgarden centre closing this sumer

Hi.

Heard a rumour the other day that Abbeydale garden centre will close this summer as the land it stands on is owned by network rail and they want to use the land to extent the car park of Dore and Totley station.

Has anyone else heard anything as I cant find any news about it yet.

I understand SYPTE have been looking at buying the Garden Centre to potentially build a park and ride car park (subject to the usual approvals).

I would imagine that no publicity would be put out till the deal was sealed and a handover date agreed.

Write to the PTE and ask them. They can either say "yes" or "no" or "can't say" and you can draw your own conclusions.

Apparently they are going to erect a 30 foot bronze statue of Arthur Scargill on the site.

FACTUAL INFORMATION

I understand that the PTE have bought the site for a station car park, this will hopefully solve the major problem that there is round this station due to parked cars , my only problem with this is

1/. Pity that the short sighted policy of the 1960's sold it off in the first place

2/. Will it be big enough

Gawd, classic Sheffield Forum. No one knows anything for certain.

No one has contacted the rail company or the garden centre.

Everyone just speculates madly...

FACTUAL INFORMATION

I understand that the PTE have bought the site for a station car park, this will hopefully solve the major problem that there is round this station due to parked cars , my only problem with this is

1/. Pity that the short sighted policy of the 1960's sold it off in the first place

2/. Will it be big enough

Where it must be aplauded that SYPTE have got there bums out of gear on this one Im also wondering how many spaces the car park will hold and will it be enough ?

It is now a shame that everyone will be told "park your car and use this station " only to find out that there are no timetable improvement by either Northern, TPE or EMT and that the of peak train service is a joke of a every 2hr service :rant:

Edited by mahonia