Virgin media down and out since Tuesday

Torrents are illegal as i am sure you all know, and it is the heavy torrent users who are throttling the bandwidth for everyone else.

Virgin media are clamping down on this in a big way, if you illegally download torrents your speed will be capped or you will be disconnected....

your quite dangerous to the world, best stay inside.mmmk

two points

1 torrents are not illegal,

2 torrent users don't throttle any thing, that is 'virgin' selling something they don't have.

virgin simply cannot supply what they sell.

to blame it on torrents or any customer at all is just ignorance and lies.

you paid for 'up to x meg.'

NOT

'up to x -when everyone else turns their computer off and you get the connection all to yourself-meg'

I'm on the lowest packet, don't use torrents very often, and limit both the in and out bandwidth so that it doesn't stop me browsing.

It's the 24/7 torrenters that are the problem. Mainly students actually, as they tend to have high occupancy houses with all the occupants using the same connection constantly.

Virgin's 50mb service is uncapped, and they've been selling it to too many people so it can't cope when the bandwidth is maxed out, and with cable the upstream is limited compared to the downstream so it can easily get overloaded.

It's like an all-you-can eat buffet where some people are grabbing every bit of food that appears on the table leaving crumbs for the rest, but it's also the restaurant's fault for not supplying enough food in the first place.

Re the messages, it's 1571

Re the problem -normal TV and V+ was fine but I've had issues with TV on Demand and Catch Up TV, can't access either via the menus.

Re the comments about torrents - Virgin to use traffic profiling, this is nothing to do with what you're downloading, more info here

http://allyours.virginmedia.com/html/internet/traffic.html

Hi Last summer, I had hell of a lot of down time T.V & B.B. Couldnt stand it any longer. Said cancel and want refunds. Although previously, the visiting engineers had checked the outside box and said no fault there, it took yet another engineer to remake the connections. Had no problem since. Still got an intermittent fault though when veiwing. Sometimes I get a tearing of the picture horizontally. I've only noticed this on Discovery channel or near.Also get 'Recording failed'. Delete wont shift this off the listings. The last engineer had to re-format the disc and lose all other recordings.Has anyone else had these problems?. Cheers.

It's the 24/7 torrenters that are the problem. Mainly students actually, as they tend to have high occupancy houses with all the occupants using the same connection constantly.

Virgin's 50mb service is uncapped, and they've been selling it to too many people so it can't cope when the bandwidth is maxed out, and with cable the upstream is limited compared to the downstream so it can easily get overloaded.

It's like an all-you-can eat buffet where some people are grabbing every bit of food that appears on the table leaving crumbs for the rest, but it's also the restaurant's fault for not supplying enough food in the first place.

Yep, it's Sheffield Forum, of course students are to blame. Not greedy media providers with network technology from the 1900's :roll:

Yep, it's Sheffield Forum, of course students are to blame. Not greedy media providers with network technology from the 1900's :roll:

Well it's definitely Virgin Media's fault for overselling the bandwidth, but it doesn't help if people abuse their connection in contravention of the acceptable use policy. There won't be any network upgrades in my area for another four months, so until VM pull their finger out the excessive users are spoiling it for everyone. It's about time they traffic managed the 50mb service, like they do with all their other tarrifs.

• 2 weeks later...
Well it's definitely Virgin Media's fault for overselling the bandwidth, but it doesn't help if people abuse their connection in contravention of the acceptable use policy. There won't be any network upgrades in my area for another four months, so until VM pull their finger out the excessive users are spoiling it for everyone. It's about time they traffic managed the 50mb service, like they do with all their other tarrifs.

no there not spoiling it for anyone, virgin can't be arsed to 'upgrade' -read, provide adequate- your service for four months?

why?

Is the technology not available for four months?

engineer in hospital?

or is it just simple lack of common decency that they can't be bothered to supply what your paid for?

You seem to be looking at this like the customers to blame some how.

Sell me 50 meg connection speed, I don't expect to have to satisfy myself with 50 sometimes and 20 at others (and nor should you).