The Sheffield gay scene part 2

That's a bit concerning .. I have only been in once. I would expect upstairs to be closed during the week but not the weekend ?

As for cold, well does seem a massive building to heat , but surely in the big fanfare countdown when they were renovating it for what seemed like the last 12 months, they could have thought to put in insulation also somewhere or did it never cross their mind that it would have to function in Winter too? I was considering going this evening but its kinda put me off now as its a very cold evening :-(

Don't want your dog catching a chill, do we?

Nooo we dont but he doesn't like loud music and strobe lights anyway so I normally have him babysat when I go there :-) which has only been once so far !

I went on Friday around 1 am it seemed relatively busy, not packed but enough to feel good. I think that the upstairs was closed if i remember but the downstairs was buzzing so it was Ok as upstairs is only really seating in any case... I hope it does do well we need an alternative to the present gay offering, i wish people would support these new venues.

I've been following this thread for the last month in regards to OMG & have decided today to ask some rather specific questions about this place (as everyone seems to have opinions, but they seem rather vague). I've yet to go, as I'm quite some distance from Sheffield, but it's likely I'll be around for a weekend or 2 in December.

1. Anyone got exact entry & prices/drinks offers times/closing times (this one is important) for Friday, Saturday & Sunday?

2. I've heard comments like "music is decent." I can find nothing anywhere on what they actually play. Obviously opinions of decent vary, & a night of 80's & 90's cheese is very different to a night of house, or modern pop for example. Could we be a little more specific on what sort of stuff we get on Friday through Sunday.

3. I too have seen them advertising for new management already. Also still no website. These things are concerning. What do people think? 1 person said it is turning "into a disaster." Do others agree? If so, why? Too expensive? Bad music? Or is it likely just a few teething problems?

Thx.

What do we need to do if we don't want a pride?

Something else, somewhere else. You've got the other 364 days of the year to play with.

1. Anyone got exact entry & prices/drinks offers times/closing times (this one is important) for Friday, Saturday & Sunday?

Last orders at 4 Friday Saturday, midnight Sunday. Free entry till ten, £4 till 12, £5 after 12. Drinks are variable! Cheap on a Friday until 12, then circa £4 pint and £4.70 (ish) Double. The prices then go up again on a Saturday it seems to £4.20 and £4.90 (ish) I buy different rounds etc and haven't asked for a receipt!

2. I've heard comments like "music is decent." I can find nothing anywhere on what they actually play. Obviously opinions of decent vary, & a night of 80's & 90's cheese is very different to a night of house, or modern pop for example. Could we be a little more specific on what sort of stuff we get on Friday through Sunday.

Chart, 90's with the odd remix thrown in.

3. I too have seen them advertising for new management already. Also still no website. These things are concerning. What do people think? 1 person said it is turning "into a disaster." Do others agree? If so, why? Too expensive? Bad music? Or is it likely just a few teething problems?

I have stated what I think the issues are before! Very big, Sheffield has a diverse and accepting culture, by closing at 4 people will go to Dempseys as it is open till 6, there is no defined smoking area/can't take drinks outside. They have price matched Crystal, Viper and other bars around them.

It failed twice as a 'straight' venue in the most populated area of town, how targeting a minority will overcome that we will have to wait and see. To be fair they have spent money on it, it looks nice and they have already cut the staff back drastically to what it was on the opening weekend. It is a handy early Friday drinking venue, but I wouldn't be rushing to pay to get in and the inflated prices at other times.

Apparently the manager in situ was always due to be temporary. Accepting applications for GM via FB posts is a little unusual.

re OMG yes drinks prices are variable some bargains from 6pm to 8pm weekdays 2 pound pints !! It makes sense that they would take on extra staff for just the first 1-2 weekends opening so I wouldnt really class this as a cut back , more back to normal :-)

Anyways on to the present day ... Its World AIDS day and a vigil in the Peace Gardens I believe at 5:30pm ? Perhaps Tyranna can confirm ...

Also I hear that OMG are kindly opening today and there are Chicks With Decks playing this evening at 7:30pm - sounds great ! As I have a day off I shall pop along maybe with my dog ;-)

Does anyone know if Dempseys is doing anything special this evening to mark WAD ?

Laters ....

---------- Post added 01-12-2015 at 12:19 ----------

https://www.facebook.com/ChicksWithDecksDJ/

---------- Post added 03-12-2015 at 12:32 ----------

Just a follow up - I attended the peace vigil and it was very good , some good council speakers, minutes silence, music , alas the weather was a bit too cold and blustery for lighting candles , and an amazing large red ribbon wire construction creation with attached messages from the public that was brought to OMG club later on. The club was busy for a Wednesday and the amazing drag queens including our own fabulous international time traveller celebrity Tyranna performed her favourite hits to rapturous applause :love::love:

So with 2 busy gay venues now in Sheffield it looks like the Sheffield scene is finally looking up !

I have not been to the new Union Street centre yet but would anyone care to put a review of it on this thread - it sounds like another very useful addition to the gay community .. and then of course there is the cafe on the Moor ...

---------- Post added 06-12-2015 at 12:14 ----------

I was just wondering what OMG was like last night , due to another function -

see here:

http://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/showpost.php?p=11232001&postcount=8

which ran me ragged and very late , I could not make it ....

Also just one teensy small query ... what is the admittance charge to OMG after say 11 on a Saturday night ?

I am assuming it is way way more than £4, since Dempseys charge that amount for even Dempseys members and thus , by definition they have to be more competitive than OMG ..... surely ? .... :-)

---------- Post added 09-12-2015 at 21:09 ----------

re OMG yes drinks prices are variable some bargains from 6pm to 8pm weekdays 2 pound pints !! It makes sense that they would take on extra staff for just the first 1-2 weekends opening so I wouldnt really class this as a cut back , more back to normal :-)

Anyways on to the present day ... Its World AIDS day and a vigil in the Peace Gardens I believe at 5:30pm ? Perhaps Tyranna can confirm ...

Also I hear that OMG are kindly opening today and there are Chicks With Decks playing this evening at 7:30pm - sounds great ! As I have a day off I shall pop along maybe with my dog ;-)

Does anyone know if Dempseys is doing anything special this evening to mark WAD ?

Laters ....

---------- Post added 01-12-2015 at 12:19 ----------

https://www.facebook.com/ChicksWithDecksDJ/

---------- Post added 03-12-2015 at 12:32 ----------

Just a follow up - I attended the peace vigil and it was very good , some good council speakers, minutes silence, music , alas the weather was a bit too cold and blustery for lighting candles , and an amazing large red ribbon wire construction creation with attached messages from the public that was brought to OMG club later on. The club was busy for a Wednesday and the amazing drag queens including our own fabulous international time traveller celebrity Tyranna performed her favourite hits to rapturous applause :love::love:

So with 2 busy gay venues now in Sheffield it looks like the Sheffield scene is finally looking up !

I have not been to the new Union Street centre yet but would anyone care to put a review of it on this thread - it sounds like another very useful addition to the gay community .. and then of course there is the cafe on the Moor ...

---------- Post added 06-12-2015 at 12:14 ----------

I was just wondering what OMG was like last night , due to another function -

see here:

http://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/showpost.php?p=11232001&postcount=8

which ran me ragged and very late , I could not make it ....

Also just one teensy small query ... what is the admittance charge to OMG after say 11 on a Saturday night ?

I am assuming it is way way more than £4, since Dempseys charge that amount for even Dempseys members and thus , by definition they have to be more competitive than OMG ..... surely ? .... :-)

Lady GAGA tribute act on this friday night 11th at OMG !

https://www.facebook.com/omgsheffield/?fref=ts

Edited by Roger123W

Hi, Roger and all; long time no see, apologies for my long absence but just to say that I'm alive and well and will be at the Lady Gaga Tribute tonight at OMG.

Regarding the practice of closing the upstairs at OMG, it is quite normal if numbers of people there are not large enough to warrant additional space in addition to the very large dancefloor/Main bar area; however, there is a Pool Table upstairs which is often available even when the upstairs bar is shut, as it is in a seperate section to the upstairs bar which is seperately roped off; altogether I am really impressed at the quality of the venue and refurbishment, even if there is no scope for a seperate 'second room' upstairs for minority tastes in music, such as at Climax.

BTW, what HAS happened to the original rock/punk/80's 'second room' at Climax??????? Over the months since June, it has mysteriously been 'hijacked' by a straight/mainstream 'Jazz' night, Nightflight or Jamjar, which seems to have NO connection with Climax. I have no worries about what appears to be a great night out in itself, with vintage music, but I feel that it is the creeping end of a wedge to reduce Climax in scale or push it out and into an alternative venue? Maybe Jamjar could relocate at a popular 'pub' venue such as Harley or The Forum? There are many of us who would REALLY like that second room at Climax back, with the opportunity to request all those great lesser-known vintage or Rock-based numbers that many of us like, PLEASE!!!:rant::rant::rant::rant::rant:

Anyone heard any news about what we can expect for NYE at OMG?

Anyone heard any news about what we can expect for NYE at OMG?

We only know what they've put on Facebook:

https://www.facebook.com/events/1710866912467130/

Still miss Fuel!

Whatever happened to it? :huh:

It closed down very suddenly, just before Christmas last year. There was no announcement or warning beforehand and they made no statement afterwards, so it's anybody's guess as to why they closed. Presumably it wasn't profitable for the owners, which is why most venues close.

So .... after going along especially tonight , I find that OMG is shut with no warning !

Why register members and take their details if you havent even the courtesy to text them opening times over the weekend ... After tonights episode I have no option but to shun this place indefinitely since I dont know when it will be open or closed , does this ring a bell with another place, Twist / Fuel? That shut down suddenly as per above ? Not surprising , same behaviour :-(

:rant::rant::suspect:

Dempseys may have its issues but for all that I know that whenever I turn up at its front door , it will be open at least !!