Man with cancer thrown out of pub for refusing to take off hat.

Alex, there's too many pages to look through now.. where is this apology? (I'm not questioning that there is one, I just want to read what she said)

She hasn't.

Her husband gave a garbled apology on Radio Sheffield, and a brewery spokesman did in the Star article

Sue has remained very silent. Hardly the sign of an apologetic person, and i doubt she is the kind of person who lets other people speak for her: judging by comments on here and various other sites, she isn't a wallflower.

anyway Gents should take there hats off when entering a building its the correct thing to do so no excuses!

Why?..............................

If so why not women?

I fear you misunderstand the situation somewhat, I said that I had never signed anything or been given or indeed have I ever given training on the subject of DDA, I have training staff who deal with these things for my teams, however I am not ignorant of DDA not by any means nor did I say that Cancer is not included within the realms of DDA what I said or at least meant was that it does not apply in this case. And whats more he had options! He could leave if he disagree's with rule or better still he should not have gone in to the place in the first place! There is a sign outside that states the rule so take your DDA and you know where to put it but dont try to apply it here because it just wont fit!

You are either a troll or just plain ignorant.

As Douglas J said, earlier the DDA is not just about premises ensuring that I can get in easily, with my wheelchair, It's as much about making sure that someone is not made to feel humiliated, too. so someone being told

"You can't use my premises, because you are mentally handicapped" is just as discriminatory as a blind person being told

"You can't bring your guide dog in here!"

Look at the case of the young lad who successfully sued the bank in Sheffield because they did not have wheelchair access. he was told "You can take your account elsewhere!"

BUT! Why should he? Why shouldn't they accommodate him? He was entitled to choose where he wished to bank, especially having banked with that branch since before he was ill.

Why should he be told the equivalent of "You can shop in GT news, but not WH Smith?"

The disabled "pound" is just as valuable as the non-disabled pound.

there is a hat protest meeting at the birley on saturday at 7pm and presumably going over to the sherwood the bigger the hat the better a sombrero will do just nicely

It's as much about making sure that someone is not made to feel humiliated, too. so someone being told

"You can't use my premises, because you are mentally handicapped" is just as discriminatory as a blind person being told

"You can't bring your guide dog in here!".

Why, who was turned away from somewhere for being mentally handicapped?

The disabled "pound" is just as valuable as the non-disabled pound.

Agreed, the lad wasn't turned away for being disabled.

As a cancer survivor/victim myself I would just have been equally rude in my reply to the landlady and gone and spent my 'hard earned' in a more welcoming establishment. I wouldn't have bothered to contact a newspaper.

Certainly not a rag like The Star.

In all fairness, giving her the same attitude in return would only have added fuel to the fire and given her reason to ask him to leave. As for going to the newspaper - it certainly raises awareness to the type of character that she is and the establishment that they run. I thought that I was the only person to have had problems here but evidently not! :rolleyes:

that there is stereotyping him. Yes he has a bold head but why does that make it alright for him to be told to leave when he has a valid reason.

He was'nt out to cause trouble and if that had been me in his position, id have gone to the papers too to make other people aware of the type of landlady they have as well and maybe save embarassment for any other cancer sufferers that may have intended on entering the pub.

She's thrown her own business down the drain if you ask me...

Next christmas pantomime at the sherwood has been cancelled.

It was Alice in Wonderland and the Mad Hatter is BARRED.

Next christmas pantomime at the sherwood has been cancelled.

It was Alice in Wonderland and the Mad Hatter is BARRED.

by next xmas the sherwood will be an american diner and with a bit of luck the landlady will be signing on...

Just read this thread and it's a good job I did as I live near the Sherwood.

I'm a dog lover and I've got a 17 year old beagle, which is registered disabled, wears a hat and smokes.

I fancy a pint.

Am I better of going to the Birley then?

Has anyone any news regarding this landlady or is she just carrying on running the Sherwood

I called in last night ( just to drop something off to a friend)

and sue was still there large as life ! its usually quite busy on a Wednesday night what with it being quiz nite. but its was very very quiet. dont know if its got anything to do with this thread. but if it is keep up the good work. i cant abide sue

its my local and i stopped going in at Christmas due to her attitude to people. knew if i objected to her abusive manner i would be barred. so i barred myself therefore not giving her the satisfaction.