SUFC supporters--remember " The Mighty Carlin "?

Just heard the Manfred Mann Band singing "The Mighty Quinn" on the radio which took me back to the halcyon days of '67 when United fans sang along to the adapted lyrics which included Willie Carlin's name. He was a diminutive player who wasn't with United very long but he must have made a big impression on the team and its supporters. The players around that time included the likes of Alan Hodgkinson, Mick Jones, Alan Birchenall, Len Badger, Alan Woodward, Gil Reece and Bernard Shaw.

Anyone else remember singing along to this song or what about other football songs across the years?

Just heard the Manfred Mann Band singing "The Mighty Quinn" on the radio which took me back to the halcyon days of '67 when United fans sang along to the adapted lyrics which included Willie Carlin's name. He was a diminutive player who wasn't with United very long but he must have made a big impression on the team and its supporters. The players around that time included the likes of Alan Hodgkinson, Mick Jones, Alan Birchenall, Len Badger, Alan Woodward, Gil Reece and Bernard Shaw.

Anyone else remember singing along to this song or what about other football songs across the years?

Barely a nipper at that time but i remember Willie Carlin, I dont remember us signing that song with his name in it but a fw years later we sang

You've not seen nothing like the MIGHTY FLYNN in reference to John Flynn

http://dspace.dial.pipex.com/bob.dunning/sheffiel.htm

I remember Willie Carlin scoring against Wednesday and running across to a buxom blonde supporter and giving her a big smacker.He later denied knowing the bird and said it was a spur of the moment thing.Yeah right:hihi::hihi:

• Like 1

You mean Toby jug?

I remember a song about Birchenall:-

"With his long blond hair, and his eyes are blue,"

"he looks like Chi-Chi from London Zoo".

(Chi Chi was a well known Panda at the time, in the papers about as regular as Jordan is these days; but there the similarity ends as the Panda had more intelligence, and refused to mate with every suitor brought forward)

Would that pre-date, or ante-date, Liverpool's "The mighty Emlyn?" I don't remember exactly when Hughes started playing for them.

Would that pre-date, or ante-date, Liverpool's "The mighty Emlyn?" I don't remember exactly when Hughes started playing for them.

According to Wiki Emlyn Hughes joined Liverpool in February 67 and made his debut on 4th March whereas Willie Carlin was bought by United from Carlisle in September of that year. The song, however, wasn't released until January 68 so it must have been after that in the 67/8 season when fans adapted the lyrics and started to sing it. Both sets of supporters were, therefore, probably singing it at the same time but I like to think that they heard it in Sheffield first. The Mighty Quinn subsequently reached number 1 in the charts.

A little bit off topic, but does anyone remember Rotherham winning the 'Kop Choir' award on Sportsnight with Coleman back then, for their fans rendition of the 'Mighty Quinn'. I vaguely remember a commemorative plaque for this on the away end programme/food stall at Millmoor.

A tiny combative mid fielder from memory. Didn't Brian Clough think so and sign him for Derby to do the job he was good at and nothing else.

Sad-I still sing Mighty Carlin whenever the Manfred Mann record is played (fortunately not often!)

• Like 1

I ran into Willie Carlin in the mid 90's in Majorca, he owned a small restaurant in the resort of Cala Millor, I have a picture of the two of us outside it, and yes, he really was "Wee Willie", because at 6ft 2" I look like a giant at the side of him!!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I do remember Willie being booked/sent off for walking over the player after he had tackled him!

I remember Willie Carlin scoring against Wednesday and running across to a buxom blonde supporter and giving her a big smacker.He later denied knowing the bird and said it was a spur of the moment thing.Yeah right:hihi::hihi:

Most of that is correct Bladebeer but it wasn't Willie who scored. I seem to remember that he picked up the ball in the Blades half and ran straight at their defence. He got as far as the edge of their penalty area where he was tackled but the ball ran free to (the late) Mick Hill who smacked it in. Think we drew one all, maybe 1969 or 70 ? Willie ran to the North Stand and kissed the girl and said afterwards he ran towards the first red and white scarf he could see.

Carlin poached by Brian Clough.