Will You Want To Use The Moor?  

77 members have voted

1. 1. Will You Want To Use The Moor?

• Yes - I'll use The Moor during the development
    • Yes - I'll use The Moor after the development
    • No - I have no need to use The Moor during development
    • No - I have no need to use The Moor after development
    • Not Applicable - I never go there anyway

The workmen that are currently on the moor are re doing the paving, the old buildings have been demolished and the site cleared but they haven't started any building yet. I work on the moor and the last letter we had from the council stated that building wouldn't start until well into the new year and would take around 18 months to complete.

My partner is an hgv driver as his brother, they have delivered granite flooring, (125 ton) and other stuff for the rebuilding, but was told there are no bricks to build with yet. So might be a while.

I take it you haven't seen the huge JCBs and other vehicles behind the barriers, at the bottom of The Moor, then?

moorsheffield.com/News.aspx?NID=56

"Work is anticipated to start on Block 6 in Summer 2010."

as I said the work currently taking place is the new paving details of which are on this page moorsheffield.com/News.aspx?NID=65 sorry I can't post a proper link as I don't have the privilage yet! :)

The worst thing is, as a joke, I wasn't expecting you to actually be a skyscraper forum member but there you are, bless. You represent the Skyscrapers forum well though with the blind wish of new buildings built all the time, this is Sheffield, not the Jetsons.

?

Do I?!?! Some examples maybe?! I think you're just looking for someone to indiscrimnately hand-out biased criticisms of that Forum to and I'm the only person around who goes on it! Given that I'd choose Leopold Square as my favourite development of any kind in Sheffield in the last 5/6 years I fail to see how I have a 'blind wish of new buildings all the time'.

I'll repeat what I said before, there's little about the general attitude on Skyscrapercity that I like, though if you ever took the chance to get to know the people behind the sometimes ridiculous statements you'd realise they are mostly good people who just have a naive way of putting their point across. For example, I don't automatically assume you're an arsehole just because you post crap sometimes.

We've actually had a agreeable conversation about Skyscrapercity before Scarlet so I'm not sure why we're suddenly disagreeing. Its an overly optimistic, often naive place which is focused on skyscrapers, so its little suprise its full of bright-eyed teens with little regard for the ways things do - or should - work in the real world of Urban Planning.

Edited by AndrewC

The Moor not safe? Christ, what a wuss, wrap yourself in cotton wool, why don't you? The only dangers on The Moor are the massed crowds escaping Moorfoot for a fix of retail therapy at lunchtime!

It's a mess, but it's about as dangerous as watching an episode of Peppa Pig.

supermarkets never locate in city centres.

There is a big Morrisons in Leeds city centre.

I'm looking forward to the market being relocated, although its current location is very handy for me. I just hope the new market can accommodate all the good stalls from the existing one, and that the rents are no so high as to drive many stallholders out of business, as happened when Leeds market was redeveloped. Castle Market, despite what people say about it on here sometimes, has some great fresh food stalls (meat, seafood, fruit and veg, continental, Asian and Caribbean), as well as a fine sweet shop with all the old sweet jars, and I would like to see more, not less.

There is a big Morrisons in Leeds city centre.

Not really. It's scarcely bigger than Sainsbury's on The Moor, and it was built as a supermarket within the greater Merrion Centre in the 1960s. Doubt they'd do it these days.

Take down the street furniture, remove the market back to Waingate and put the road back on the Moor. The minute a street is pedestrianised it takes a downturn, market stalls, street drinkers, gangs of youths hanging around, all manners of undesirables hanging around attracted by the markets, more litter, etc, etc! Pedestrianistion is blight of our cities!

You should take a trip to Leeds to see the falsity of that statement. Have a walk around Briggate, Albion Street, Commercial Street, Lands Lane and the arcades. One of those lovely arcades was actually a driveable street until the early 90s when it was pedestrianised and roofed over (the one with the high stained glass roof - Victoria Arcade is it?).

The Moor not safe? Christ, what a wuss, wrap yourself in cotton wool, why don't you? The only dangers on The Moor are the massed crowds escaping Moorfoot for a fix of retail therapy at lunchtime!

It's a mess, but it's about as dangerous as watching an episode of Peppa Pig.

a guy at work has been mugged twice when walking down the Moor in the evening. Anecdotal evidence I'll admit, however it isn't the safest area and definitely wouldn't recommend people go for a stroll down there in the evening.

the toilets are open in the city center there is one at the side of the old town hall admittedly you have to pay 20p to use them and there is one at the bottom of the moor.

could really do with a good butchers and a deli on the moor