[ASK AN EXPERT] Mobile Air Conditioning Units

I bought a portable air conditioning unit (12k BTU) for my bedroom from Homebase for £199.95 and it is worth every penny spent and more.

I must admit it is rather noisy but you soon get use to it!! Although the pipe does go out of an open window it does not seem to make much difference as the pipe end is flattened and I would kill my partner if he put an hole in the wall.

I would suggest you buy the best you can for your money to suit your room area and shop around..... this was the cheapest one we found

OK so I've been and bought the unit.

It's a 10k BTU system but also heats for winter use if required (so it's a dual mode).

It's got a remote control for it too, and it will dehumidify a room if you set it to that fubction.

Should have been £299, but reduced to £237 @ B&Q, Queens Road.

OMG its fantastic... it's not been on long and already I can feel the difference. The temp gauge on it says the room temp has now been reduced by 2 degrees C (not much, but it's only been on 20 mins or so).

Seriously Seriously looking forward to the difference tonight.

So far it gets the :thumbsup: from me :D

Originally posted by Greybeard

I think with this type of unit you have to take the vent hose through an open window which seems a bit self-defeating to me.

You can buy a kit for about £30 to take the vent through the wall, but it's not really a DIY job.

If it's for a child's bedroom consider one of those slow ceiling fans, they're very quiet and move enough air to cause an evaporative effect.

I figured out I could stand one in the en-suite and vent it by taking the cover off the extractor fan and buying a joining collar for the hose for about a fiver - then Mr Strix said 'No' :(

Looks like I'll have to stick to my fan-and-icepack home made arrangement :rolleyes:

Well, DaBouncer.... was it any good overnight? Too loud? How much did it finally reduce the room temp by? I'm considering getting one myself because although it is a "few nights" a year when it's so hot you can't sleep, those "few nights" seem to be getting more each year.

Originally posted by DaBouncer

I'm thinking of buying this mobile air con unit.

Does anyone have any experience of them?

Are they worth buying?

Cheers

:thumbsup:

Hmmmmm ...

I seem to recall someone moaning about me and another forumer getting air-con units last year around this time. Something about, not really worth it, and, summer will be over in a few days anyway.

:P

Err, I'd invest in a good one. Get one that has a pipe that stick outside through a window to do it's evaporation and condensation thing. The kind me and Martin got are little more than glorified fans.

EDIT:

Jamie reads the rest of the thread ...

1) What's the noise level like?

2) What's the temperature drop like?

3) What's the pipe thing like? How long?

Archived