Remember Birley School?

We didn't like you lot invading our school either.

We had better playing fields; better gym; better tennis courts; better laboratories; in fact the only good thing that joining with Birley gave us was the 6th floor common room.:hihi::hihi::hihi:

Tazz

the only good thing about joining up with birley...you got rid of that crap uniform....one thing did come in handy though with joining up with a grammar school...you got help with your homework....and my grades improved no end...and that banking was great for throwing first years down..:hihi::hihi:

I was there from 1970-76, can't believe nobody mentioned sooty mullen

mr mullen!! lol i remember him:)

Just come across this thread. Some of the names bring back memorys. In my class apart from some of them was Mick Brown, Ian Bellamy, Edward Parker, Paul Spencer. My first Girlfriend was Kathryn Ibbotson. I also went out Gloria Lowe and married Christine Backhouse. We divorced 25 yrs ago long timew aint it. I also went out for quite a while with Vivian Parker. Oh I'm Dave Goodwin. Our form teacher when we started was a Miss Peat who had also jusrt started, Dusty Springfield lookalike with short skirts!!!.

Eastbank.....reading your post reminded me of my regular saturday outings.

I used to go to the saturday morning matinee at the Rex cinema at Intake and then take the bus into pond street and go to the Top Rank for the afternoon disco. I would only be about 8 but I would go on my own and then meet friends in the top rank.

No mobile phones in them days I would be out all day and my parents wouldnt worry at all..........very different to these days

Bring back the good ole days

Eastbank.....reading your post reminded me of my regular saturday outings.

I used to go to the saturday morning matinee at the Rex cinema at Intake and then take the bus into pond street and go to the Top Rank for the afternoon disco. I would only be about 8 but I would go on my own and then meet friends in the top rank.

No mobile phones in them days I would be out all day and my parents wouldnt worry at all..........very different to these days

Bring back the good ole days

i used to live on newstead rise number 31....moved to birley in the summer of 1968....attended birley school in the second year...then it joined with thornbridge until i left school in 1971....

the newstead estate was great...always something going on...the farmers fields,the birley woods and ridgeway and ford...happy days....hoping to get the book finished this year...

Zakes Goes Walkies 1968.

Pick it, lick it, roll it,eat it, Zakes was having a juicy snack whilst sprawled out on the family's seven seater blue plastic coated leather settee wetching a thriller film on their 22 inch screened black and white Ekco televishun. The film was coming to a close and Zakes had been impressed by Clawed Reins in the lead role and the co-star Sherbet Lom seemed also to be a dab hand at acting too. Zakes had made his mind up a short while ago to take a stroll locally, nearby in the area to exercise his poorly foot. A few days ago Zakes had copped a dose of Athletes Foot which was strange because he wasn't an athlete. With the film being over and finished Zakes climbed from the settee to stand on the threadbare yellow and pink coloured arab nomadic made carpet then wiped his beak on his mother's finest green crushed velvet curtains and went to fetch his walking footwear. The shod Zakes then left the family home and slowly but quietly slammed the door behind him and set off on his journey. It was a pleasant late afternoon in the year 1968 and within minutes Zakes was turning into Newstead Road and almost collided into Paul Ward who lived on this road. Paul was going home having spent a full day at the pond next to Birley Wood, he had with him a pair of newts and a jam jar full of tadpoles. Some minutes later Zakes was just passing Ripon's newsagency on Birley Moor Road and moving in the direction of Frecheville and threw a glance over the road and espied the ever gorgeous Lynn Stacey with Tony (bend it) Martin walking side by side, they were not holding hands (thank you God) and Zakes thought that if Lynn ever wanted anything then her wish would be his command. He gave them (her) a wave and a smile, was tempted to cross the road but was overcome with coyidity and shyness and continued on his travels. As Zakes was passing Thornbridge Drive he noticed Lynne (Lill) Womack going up the path of her parents home on the left hand side at the bottom of this road (drive). She didn't see Zakes because it was her unlucky day. Soon Zakes was nearing the two petrol stations on Birley Moor Road but just before is a dentist's surgery next to a jennel and a pair of doors before is the home of a good mate Reg Hudson, Zakes noticed that the windows were in need of a clean and if Reg's mother wasn't up to it, then her husband Mr Hudson should do them, upstairs, downstairs. A handful of minutes later Zakes was standing at the banks of Frecheville pond pondering whether Clarence the LochFreche monster would be showing his face today. Almost eighteen minutes later it seemed to Zakes that Clarence wasn't coming out or just maybe he was already out and about somewhere riding his motor pike and sidecarp. Zakes was treading his way up Stanton Crescent, took the jennel and emerged at the junction of Hopefield Avenue and Thornbridge Drive then onto Nab Lane turned left in the direction of the distant WHite Lane then veered left along a path to enter Hayfield Drive and immediately saw Pete Lax who was anything but. Pete lived here on the left and he was pushing a rusty lawn mower in the garden in a vain attempt to cut the seven foot high pampas grass. After a brief chat Zakes turned to go and he glanced over the road (drive) to see Paul Overhand who lived on that side practising discus-throwing on the grass verge with a pile of heavy duty dinner plates that has been cellotaped together in threes. Zakes ignored this renowned smarty pants and went by in quick tempo and took a short cut through the grounds of his school Birley Secondary and came out on Thornbridge Avenue and directly opposite on Thornbridge Close saw the ever tubby Bob Ward playing cricket with five other lads and they were using a battered oil drum as a wicket, Zakes called a short hello and was on his way. Further up Thornbridge Avenue Zakes met up with David (Steptoe) Stephenson who was about to go in his house which is next door but three to the Junior school, he had been to visit an aunty who lived somewhere. Reaching the junction of Thornbridge Grove and THornbridge Road Zakes had a stroke of luck and blushingly bade the golden haired Anne Hayes a warm hello and she responded with a smile that put the drooling Zakes all at sea. The five minutes they spent rabbiting passed too quickly and Zakes reluctantly said goodbye and he shuffled away along Thornbridge Road and near the end of this road he came across the diminutive Mick Payne and the taller Martin Hatfield and they were busy playing conkers. When their brief chat ended Zakes slung his hook and marched down and marched down Birley Moor Drive and when he was level with Birley Moor Way he observed the alert looking ginger haired David Siddall having a speaking session with the ever keen Owen Sharpe. Zakes was enjoying his tork with these two intelligent lads until he saw the Haywire ‘Hotpot' Hodgson (?) on the horizon coming down the road(way), so he cleared off sharpish. On arrival at Birley Moor Crescent Zakes took a left turn and looked diagonally over to the shops and saw Gary (Sam) Ashton outside Donolans having a tete-a-tete with Sandra Wallis, Zakes knew that three's a crowd and left them to it. Diverting himself into Newstead Avenue Zakes was just in time to see Steven WIggett with his dad getting into their Cortina car and Zakes thought that they were going somewhere and he gave them a hearty nod. Moving further along Newstead Avenue Zakes came across Mary Morley who lived on this road(avenue) in the Vic Hallam pigeon lofts. Yes, Mary Morley a quiet unassuming girl with natural blonde hair with teasing ringlets reaching down to the top of her shoulders. She and Zakes had a friendly chat during which Zakes studied the face of an angel and a figure to be admired. Her voice was as sweet as honey and her strawberry cullered lips were created for kissing among other things. Although Zakes wasn't a sex mechanic he did fancy her like mad however, Mary was number three on his pin-up list just behind second placed Anne Hayes and a country mile behind first placed Lynn Stacey and that's when Zakes suddenly awoke from his Max Romeo dream......Oops.

P.S. At that time Nab Lane ran from the Old Harrow to where Thornbridge Drive came out and the rest was Fox Lane. Now it's all Fox Lane?

Even More Ditties

Have memoried some more non-sense ditties from three girls in my year at Birley School in the mid and mad 1960's. The three are the usual candidatesses whose names are :- Nancy Style, Tilly Wheeleyes, Lara Landwiss. Unravel these anagrams and send in a post (no stamp required) please to this thread no later than 13th October 2010. The first correct answer to be drawn out of the hat(t) will receive a free drink from Zakes (me) when they next see him (me). The ditties are their words, not mine.

1. Dan Dan the dirty old man,

Kissed a girl and away they ran,

He combed her hair,

With a three legged chair,

Dan Dan the dirty old man.

2. Little Miss Muffet sat on a tuffet,

All her knickers tattered and torn,

It wasn't a spider that sat down beside her,

But little Boy Blue with his horn.

3. There was an old woman from Leeds,

Who swallowed a packet of seeds,

In less than an hour,

Her T-T's were in flower,

And her garden was full of weeds.

4. Yum yum bubbly gum,

Stick it up a copper's bum,

When it's brown, pull it down,

Yum yum bubbly gum.

Dirty Bleederesses!

Even More Ditties

Have memoried some more non-sense ditties from three girls in my year at Birley School in the mid and mad 1960's. The three are the usual candidatesses whose names are :- Nancy Style, Tilly Wheeleyes, Lara Landwiss. Unravel these anagrams and send in a post (no stamp required) please to this thread no later than 13th October 2010. The first correct answer to be drawn out of the hat(t) will receive a free drink from Zakes (me) when they next see him (me). The ditties are their words, not mine.

1. Dan Dan the dirty old man,

Kissed a girl and away they ran,

He combed her hair,

With a three legged chair,

Dan Dan the dirty old man.

2. Little Miss Muffet sat on a tuffet,

All her knickers tattered and torn,

It wasn't a spider that sat down beside her,

But little Boy Blue with his horn.

3. There was an old woman from Leeds,

Who swallowed a packet of seeds,

In less than an hour,

Her T-T's were in flower,

And her garden was full of weeds.

4. Yum yum bubbly gum,

Stick it up a copper's bum,

When it's brown, pull it down,

Yum yum bubbly gum.

Dirty Bleederesses!

was speaking to a couple of old classmates of yours last week....gary sam ashton and stephen wiggy wiggett.....i joined the birley family in 1968 was a second year....remember at the end of the school year we had boxing in the gym and watched your lot bash each other up...paul overhand beat all comers and we cheered his every victory....can you imagine the kids doing that today....

Hello Eastbank,

Browsing through past posts of yours I see your family moved into 31 Newstead Rise during 1968 which would have been the first or third house on the left as you walk along the path facing in the direction of Birley Lane. Family Zakes moved out of number 29 (second house) also during 1968. As I can't remember anyone moving into 31 in 1968 I presume we must of left before you arrived (I do stand to be corrected). We moved to Crossland Drive at Gleadless Townend and it was decided at the last minute for me to stay at Birley School but an incident involving me, a classmate and another lad from our year led to a court case and my being booted out of Birley School (Mr Lines really enjoyed that). All will be revealed in a later post, plus another court appearance from that time.

Ste(v)phen Wiggett lived on Newstead Avenue and played the guitar quite well for someone so young (Anton Karas' Harry Lime theme). I think he once chipped his front teeth at the swimming baths but I could of got that one wrong. I think he was an only child and he was in the Spartan's house team at school.

Gary (Sam) Ashton lived up Newstead Drive and must of had a great view of the farm and Birley Woods from their front window. I think Gary possessed the first green combat jacket i'd ever seen (or was it Paul Ward?) and he had an elder brother. Wonder if Gary remembers a bloke who lived nearby called Regan who had a head the size of an orange lol. Gary used to loan me his Gola football boots when I played for the school team unless he was playing then he would need them for himself. If we played at the same time it was never a problem for me to play bare of foot lol! Gary was in Athenian's and was popular with the lasses.

Paul Overhand who I find somewhat underhand and I have spoken on three occasions in recent times in a pub in Intake and he catergorically denies any boxing happenings at Birley School. As you have now mentioned this (boxing) twice I tend toward your statement. I wasn't at Birley School at the end of 68 or 69 I was at Hurlfield so I wouldn't know. Paul is still somewhat cagey and also knows everything better than anyone else. Some people never change!

Paul Overhand has his birthday 30 March and was a Trojan.

Hello Eastbank,

Browsing through past posts of yours I see your family moved into 31 Newstead Rise during 1968 which would have been the first or third house on the left as you walk along the path facing in the direction of Birley Lane. Family Zakes moved out of number 29 (second house) also during 1968. As I can't remember anyone moving into 31 in 1968 I presume we must of left before you arrived (I do stand to be corrected). We moved to Crossland Drive at Gleadless Townend and it was decided at the last minute for me to stay at Birley School but an incident involving me, a classmate and another lad from our year led to a court case and my being booted out of Birley School (Mr Lines really enjoyed that). All will be revealed in a later post, plus another court appearance from that time.

Ste(v)phen Wiggett lived on Newstead Avenue and played the guitar quite well for someone so young (Anton Karas' Harry Lime theme). I think he once chipped his front teeth at the swimming baths but I could of got that one wrong. I think he was an only child and he was in the Spartan's house team at school.

Gary (Sam) Ashton lived up Newstead Drive and must of had a great view of the farm and Birley Woods from their front window. I think Gary possessed the first green combat jacket i'd ever seen (or was it Paul Ward?) and he had an elder brother. Wonder if Gary remembers a bloke who lived nearby called Regan who had a head the size of an orange lol. Gary used to loan me his Gola football boots when I played for the school team unless he was playing then he would need them for himself. If we played at the same time it was never a problem for me to play bare of foot lol! Gary was in Athenian's and was popular with the lasses.

Paul Overhand who I find somewhat underhand and I have spoken on three occasions in recent times in a pub in Intake and he catergorically denies any boxing happenings at Birley School. As you have now mentioned this (boxing) twice I tend toward your statement. I wasn't at Birley School at the end of 68 or 69 I was at Hurlfield so I wouldn't know. Paul is still somewhat cagey and also knows everything better than anyone else. Some people never change!

i joined birley school in the 2nd year and i think sam and wiggy were in the fourth year....at the end of the term i played for the staff in goal against that lot...ron reid was the sports master...i also got done off old harry for terrorising half of the school with itching powder i'd obtained from skeggy...the boxing i can remember has if it was yesterday...and paul beat allcomers...no matter what he says...

then the following year they went and spoiled it by joining up with them green bugs....from then on i hated school