Polanski arrested after 31 years

It does seem as though his initial plea bargain would have got him off with a much lighter sentence then his crime deserved. "Unlawful sex with a minor" or "statutory rape" doesn't really fully describe the horrific nature of his crime.

No, you are misunderstanding the definition of paedophile = attracted to prepubescent children.

Actually, you misunderstand; the Oxford dictionary definition is "someone who is sexually attracted to children"...

He's been convicted and he's run away to escape sentencing. Why should he now not serve this sentence?

Ronnie Biggs' cell was waiting for him when he got back, and he didn't rape any kids.

Actually, you misunderstand; the Oxford dictionary definition is "someone who is sexually attracted to children"...

He's been convicted and he's run away to escape sentencing. Why should he now not serve this sentence?

Ronnie Biggs' cell was waiting for him when he got back, and he didn't rape any kids.

I think he should serve his sentence. I think the courts should come down hard on him. But 13 is more teenager than child. I wouldn't call it paedophilia, although I do think it wrong.

I think he should serve his sentence. I think the courts should come down hard on him. But 13 is more teenager than child. I wouldn't call it paedophilia, although I do think it wrong.
Even these days, for a 13 yr old, being sodomised by an ugly old man, would be horrific. In fact it'd be horrific for most people, of either sex or age. I really am finding it hard to credit that some people in the entertainment world are rushing to offer him support. He should be and should have been ostracised for his behaviour like any other old perve would have been. I understand that the French Government didn't want to send one of their citizens to face justice in another country, but instead of allowing him his liberty all these years, he should have been prosecuted in France.

I wonder what is going to come out of the woodwork now he's been taken into custody? We shall see.

Having just familiarised myself with the details of what he did to that girl I have to say that I am amazed that people are willing to give him a free pass at all. Truly despicable,

I only became aware of what he did recently after coming across this Salon article it's amazing how that's glossed over, particularly during the tedious Oscar build up for his holocaust film the fact that he's an unrepentant rapist never seemed to be mentioned in all the media coverage which so far as I recall (which isn't very well as I haven't the least interest in awards) simply made extremely ambiguous references as to why he wouldn't accept any awards personally.

and for the record far worse than anything that Gary Glitter was charged with.

I'm happily ignorant of the details of Glitter's crimes so I really couldn't say who's the worst.

Maybe it is, fella, but at least I can recognise a dirty old nonce when I see one, whether he makes amazing films or not :hihi:

I think you're nonce identifying ability is playing up as iirc he doesn't appear on camera in Rosemary's Baby.

Rosemary's Baby was supposed to be an old horror film, maybe scared people in those days, but it was slow and boring in my tasteless opinion :P

What would you suggest as a superior film in the same genre?

I think you're nonce identifying ability is playing up as iirc he doesn't appear on camera in Rosemary's Baby.
:huh: who said anything about him being in his film?

What would you suggest as a superior film in the same genre?
I don't watch films much but that film,imo, was nowhere near as good as the novel of the same name.

:huh: who said anything about him being in his film?

In response to my asserting the general wonderfulness of Rosemary's Bay you said:

"at least I can recognise a dirty old nonce when I see one, whether he makes amazing films or not"

Why would you say this unless you thought you saw "a dirty old nonce" you believed to be Polanski in the film?

I don't watch films much but that film,imo, was nowhere near as good as the novel of the same name.

I don't think "the Graduate" the film is as good as the film is as good "as the novel of the same name" still a really good film though.

You said the film was 'rubbish' not merely that it was disappointing, seeing as you've condemned the film for being "slow and boring" does this mean that the novel was fast and action packed?

In response to my asserting the general wonderfulness of Rosemary's Bay you said: "at least I can recognise a dirty old nonce when I see one, whether he makes amazing films or not"

Why would you say this unless you thought you saw "a dirty old nonce" you believed to be Polanski in the film?

I was saying this in response to the people who seem to want to see Polanski let off because he produced a few films they liked. I'm not accusing you of having that attitude btw.

As for the rest of your post, it's way off topic, If you want to discuss films, start a thread.

In response to my asserting the general wonderfulness of Rosemary's Bay you said:

"at least I can recognise a dirty old nonce when I see one, whether he makes amazing films or not"

Dude... he's been on the telly before... he said nothing about seeing him in that particular film...

Under a plea bargain he pleaded guilty to a lesser charge of engaging in unlawful sexual intercourse with a minor. He was then ordered by the court to report to a state prison for a 90-day psychiatric evaluation.

So I don't know how far along the legal process actually was, but there was never any doubt of his guilt.

Actually, I'd say that there is. The plea bargain system is legalised blackmail, and I'm amazed that any supposedly-civilized country allows it. A legitimate court of law would immediately throw out the case precisely because he was threatened with a massively longer sentence unless he pleaded guilty.

I have read - somewhere, don't ask me where - that, having served 42 days of a sentence, he was led to believe that the plea bargain was going to be quashed and he was going to be made to serve the exact long sentence which he'd pleaded gulity to avoid - which is why he fled while on release. If this is in fact true, it's likely that even an American court will throw the case out.

......I do not adam and believe it.... am I hearing you right? Are you condoning what I think you're condoning?.....

He isn't condoning anything, and he hasn't said that the charge should be ignored; he's just trying to clear up a common misconception. Paedophilia refers to children, not to adolescents. The vast majority of 13-year-olds are not children, having already started - or even passed - puberty.