British Legion accepts BNP gift

The British Legion have handled the whole affair pretty badly. From their clumsy PA in June, when they asked Nick Griffin to stop wearing the poppy, to this u-turn over the donation money. They should have just remained aloof from the BNP and refused donations or comment from the start.

They haven't however actually accepted a donation from the BNP, just one from one of their members.

If they had refused the donation, no doubt the bnp (I can't bring myself to use capitals) would have made something of that.

'Look at us, we offered a donation to the British Legion and they refused it'

That's a good point minimo, the positive publicity for the BNP had the legion refused would have been worse (or better from the BNP's point of view).

I think the way to come out of this smelling of roses from the Legion's point of view, would be to use the money to help the servicemen, that otherwise the BNP might not be interested in.

Why is it a slur? It seems like the appropriate adjective. This from wiki:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fascism

The Constitution in particular is Fascist especially in the centralisation of power in the hands of Nick Griffin.

Calling Labour Communist on the otherhand is a slur because it is inaccurate. Privatisation and PFI schemes are the opposite of Communist.

You're being selective again Wildcat. The BNP do not fulfil all the requirements to be considered fascist. The only reason they are called so is by those who do not understand or those who wish to use an easily recognisable emotive noun that then can be connected to a myriad of other meanings and observations. None of which is any more true than the first statement.

If you read their manifesto or their pledges they are not fascists. They represent a more nationalist/protectionist/isolationist world view. Simple single similarities or comparisons do not mean all other requirements are void either.

You're being selective again Wildcat. The BNP do not fulfil all the requirements to be considered fascist. The only reason they are called so is by those who do not understand or those who wish to use an easily recognisable emotive noun that then can be connected to a myriad of other meanings and observations. None of which is any more true than the first statement.

If you read their manifesto or their pledges they are not fascists. They represent a more nationalist/protectionist/isolationist world view. Simple single similarities or comparisons do not mean all other requirements are void either.

"nationalist/protectionist/isolationist" are all parts of the definition of Fascism :huh:

Would you prefer neofascist? or International Third Position?

Personally, I think Fascist close enough.

And as Richard Barnbrook has demonstrated for us, Nazi is also an appropriate description.

http://torytroll.blogspot.com/2008/12/richard-barnbrooks-nazi-complaint.html

Well done to the British National Party

All donations are to a great cause and I cant see why it's an issue, has Labour donated, have the Conservatives?

Both of those parties, and many others besides, have in the past trumpeted a great noise about donating to various things, to show people how caring and compassionate they are. The BNP are being equally bad, but no worse.

The problem from the British Legion's point of view, is that they absolutely do not want to be seen as supporting the BNP in any way, shape or form. If the BNP are going to make hay out of the fact that the Legion is taking money from them, it's going to reflect badly on the Legion.

Open your eyes Wednesday 1

The evidence is the increase in votes to the BNP

Just talk to the elderly and ask why so many are giving them their votes.

Its called talking to people, and taking on board whats really happening in the world.

I'm afraid your wanting reality to go away, Im sorry mate but it wont, I carnt stop them voting for the BNP sorry.

I'm afraid this is happening wether we like it or not.

Take care :)

Edited by Joe-Public
additions

Well done to the British National Party

All donations are to a great cause and I cant see why it's an issue, has Labour donated, have the Conservatives?

The difference is Labour and Tories don't sympathise with the Nazis the ex-serviceman risked their lives fighting, unlike the BNP.:rolleyes: