Steven Gerrard is found not guilty of affray after punching someone

"I think he was about to hit me your honour so I gave him a good hiding"

The man in the strreeet would be laughed at by a judge

The thing is the judge told him he was in the wrong,so how come he still got away with it?

The thing is the judge told him he was in the wrong,so how come he still got away with it?

From the BBC report:

Judge Henry Globe told him: "The verdict is a credible verdict on the full facts of this case, and you walk away from this court with your reputation intact.

"You did not start the violence, it was started by the violent elbowing of Marcus McGee in the face by one of your friends John Doran," he added.

"At all times you insisted that you only ever acted in what you believed was reasonable self-defence to what you understandably, albeit you accept mistakenly, believed was an attempted attack upon you by Marcus McGee.

"What at first sight to the casual observer may seem to have been a clear-cut case against you of unlawful violence, has been nowhere near as clear-cut upon careful analysis of the evidence."

That's what happens when you can afford the best lawyers.

What annoyed me more was the way it was reported...

"Steven Gerrard attacked a member of the public"

Isn't HE a member of the public too? Saying statements like that influence people to hold celebs in higher regard when really we're all just people. It's most likely that any other person would have received some sort of punishment. It's a poor reflection on the CJS.

Wow! So in order for it to be self-defense the other party doesn't have to do anything. So long as you THINK you are going to be attacked you are justified in punching someone three times. :loopy:

it was probebly some everton fan or manu fat trying to wind gerrard up

I heard that Liverpool had the lowest rate of 'guilty by Jury' in the Country. Way below 50 percent. The highest (Gulidford?) was 75%. It should never have come to court and will have cost the tax payers a fortune in investigation and CPS time.

I think if I was attacked by two people and it was filmed by cctv I would expect the police to to arrest and charge the attackers.

I think if I was attacked by two people and it was filmed by cctv I would expect the police to to arrest and charge the attackers.

As, indeed, they did.

Gerrard was lucky to get away with this , mind you he gets away with a lot on and off the pitch.

He pushes pulls and feigns injury if some one so much as looks at him sideways.

He should take this bit of luck as a wake up call, and grow up.

Wow! So in order for it to be self-defense the other party doesn't have to do anything. So long as you THINK you are going to be attacked you are justified in punching someone three times. :loopy:

That would be 'intent to assault'. 'Stevie G' got a penalty against the Blades in the first game of our prem season, the penalty was awarded for 'intent to foul' - a rule used neither before that day or since.

Obviously it wouldn't work for anyone else.

It appears to me that the guy was trying to only trying to defend himself after reeling from the first punch. Gerrard then waded in whilst the guy was on the back foot - the act of a coward really.

The judge should have thrown the book at him but we've seen, as with our MPs, that wealth and celebrity status puts you above the law in this country. Our society has become so fragmented and corruption has become so rife we're little better than a banana republic.

Edited by Urien