New Indian restaurant- Dosanj at west one

LadyKx

Hi All,

Firstly I would like to point out that any of the above threads were not posted by Dosanj.

Secondly I am the joint owner and some of the above threads were emailed to me by a friend.

Thirdly this is our first venture into the industry and whilst we have dedicated so much of our time, we have made a few errors on the website – apologies for this. I am aware of the spelling, pdf size and some other bits that I am trying to resolve. Maybe I should have left the holding page up whilst I was working on the site. My mistake. It will be sorted and I do welcome and appreciate all your feedback

Lastly, I recommend Chili Paneer because its my favourite dish. The best one I ever had was in Leicester and this comes very close. Nothing to do with profit.

Hi All,

Firstly I would like to point out that any of the above threads were not posted by Dosanj.

Secondly I am the joint owner and some of the above threads were emailed to me by a friend.

Thirdly this is our first venture into the industry and whilst we have dedicated so much of our time, we have made a few errors on the website – apologies for this. I am aware of the spelling, pdf size and some other bits that I am trying to resolve. Maybe I should have left the holding page up whilst I was working on the site. My mistake. It will be sorted and I do welcome and appreciate all your feedback

Lastly, I recommend Chili Paneer because its my favourite dish. The best one I ever had was in Leicester and this comes very close. Nothing to do with profit.

Hi and welcome to the Forum.

I am sure that you are aware of East and West on Abbeydale Road - the best Indian restaurant I have visited outside of Leicester. Given your location, you cannot compete with them on price but even so, some of your prices are very high - Idli Sambar at £13? Is that a mistake? It is £2.95 at East and West!

Do you do have a lunchtime special menu with lower prices? I would be very tempted to visit if you did something like this.

But everything to do with paying your city centre overheads ;):thumbsup: Best of luck with your venture but be warned ... We sheffielders have deep pockets and short arms ;):hihi::hihi:

We will be doing lunchtime menu, still have to decide what we put on it.

Prices are top end if you like, but everything is made fresh using the best ingredients. I would like to think we dont cut corners in anyway. The chef is highly trained and comes from a pedigree of chefs from Mumbai.

I really dont think you can benchmark prices based on 2 different outlets, costs, presentation, quality will vary. Dosa is probably our better selling product.

We will produce a 2 for 1 offer in July. If any body would like to take advantage then email bookings@dosanj.com.

Sorry not trying to plug Dosanj but merely trying to reply to some of the comments made above.

To be fair- i would be very weary of a curry in sheffield that costs just £2.95, im sure it tastes good but there must be a reason its that cheap.

Idli sambar is a plate of soft dal or rice cakes with a tasty (vegetable) curry sauce. No reason why it should cost more than a couple of quid. It is more of a snack than a main meal but it makes a great starter.

Idli sambar is a plate of soft dal or rice cakes with a tasty (vegetable) curry sauce. No reason why it should cost more than a couple of quid. It is more of a snack than a main meal but it makes a great starter.
Stick it to im Pete :hihi::hihi:

Prices are top end if you like, but everything is made fresh using the best ingredients. I would like to think we dont cut corners in anyway. The chef is highly trained and comes from a pedigree of chefs from Mumbai.

I really dont think you can benchmark prices based on 2 different outlets, costs, presentation, quality will vary. Dosa is probably our better selling product.

We will produce a 2 for 1 offer in July. If any body would like to take advantage then email bookings@dosanj.com.

Sorry not trying to plug Dosanj but merely trying to reply to some of the comments made above.

I will give you a try on the 2 for 1. If your cooking lives up to the prices, then I will happily say so on the Forum!

Pete

To be fair- i would be very weary of a curry in sheffield that costs just £2.95, im sure it tastes good but there must be a reason its that cheap.

You have to remember that this isn't your usual "curry-house" curry. This is traditional south indian food and the reason it is so cheap is because the ingredients are very inexpensive.

The main ingredients in idli are ground rice and urad dal (a type of bean). It takes a little bit of time to make (there is a fermentation step involved) or you can buy pre-made mixes in most asian food stores. The idlis are cooked by steaming (I use an egg poacher!) and they're ready to eat with a bit of coconut chutney and/or some sambhar. Cheap as chips! :)

I've had idli in London for less than £2.95 (and jolly tasty they were too!) Chennai Dosa. I've also had them in more up-market restaurants (Woodlands) for around £5. The food was pretty much identical though the Woodlands restaurant was more comfortable :)

http://www.woodlandsrestaurant.co.uk/

http://www.chennaidosa.com/

Edited by Bandylegs
PeteM01 beat me to it! And added a few links. 100th post!

I'm coming next week with my friends. Look forward to trying your food.