Which is the best area to live in Sheffield?

ianm

Originally posted by amhudson119

The people we know in Psalter Lane "Nether Edge" *that's it's sub-area* isn't it?

They seem reasonable houses so does is it "Hunter's Bar" S10 i think?

Alex

psalter lane is nether edge, heading up tothe districts of banner cross/ brincliffe as you go up the hill. (my house is just off there)

the housing on there is mostly vict'/ edwardian and they are really pretty.

it's a very quiet, leafy suburb, with some quite good schools.

hunters bar covers two postcode areas, s11 and s10; the s10 side goes up towards the hallamshire hospital. that postcode puts a bit of a premium on the house price, as it's heading into broomhill and university terrirory. you have to be careful where exactly in hunters bar the property is, as some parts whilst not "dire" are a bit shabbier, (seedier?) more run down, particularly the bits with the smaller, terraced housing heading back toward the city.

these two postcodes seem popular with students, too.

lots of speciality shopping along ecclesall road. lots of eateries...

there are fairly frequent buses on ecclesall road which will take you into the city in less than 10 minutes (hunters bar is no more than about 2 miles out from the city centre)

if you like the countryside/hiking that sort of thing, the peak district national park is on the door step. you can get a couple of buses from Ecclesall road (out of town) to the peak park, to hathersage and castleton, (the blue-john mines are excellent!) or chatsworth house.

nearer on the botanical gardens are excellent with their restored glasshouses, designed by Paxton who did Kew's and chatsworth's ornamental glasshouses. lovely for a sunny afternoons stroll. my granddaughtere loves to go in there and feed the squirrels.

PT

• 2 years later...

Can anyone advise whether they would move from ranmoor to lower millhouses lane? I am currently looking to move, would love to stay local in ranmoor but there is little for sale, there is a great victorian house at the bottom of millhouses lane but worried i will regret leaving ranmoor as it is a great place to live. However i wouldnt get the house in millhouses for the same money in ranmoor! opinions welcome to aid my decision!

Frecheville, Intake, Basegreen and Hollinsend aren't at all bad and still relatively affordable (the older houses any road up). I've lived in the area all my life.

not as affordable as when they were built though, i have seen a poster of some of the house adjacent to city road going for £378 when they were built:o fairly nice areas though, but i wish i was alive to buy one for that back in the day

Live in Attercliffe, theres no irritating neighbours, and its the historical/industrial and former cultural heart of sheffield. I love it, having no neighbours but the steel works, its gothic industrial heaven (and its great for trams/buses/meadowhall/M1 and city centre! Not everyones cuppa but id never move away, ever!

• 6 years later...

Hiya we are moving back to sheff before the summer to rent- i have a teenage daughter and want to live somewhere where there is a sense of community, quiet not with loads of students on either side of me, what are the areas Heeley, Crookes, Netheredge, Hillsborough like for families , please help, i ve been looking at areas or s6,s7,s8,s9,s10,s11

have a good day