Which is the best area to live in Sheffield?

Broomhill and the plush parts of Broomhall have lovely grand victorian houses, but the areas also have a very cosmopolitan vibe to it as well, which i love.

There are lovely treelined streets but you are just a skip and hop away from the city centre and Eccy rd.

But if I were a few years older then Fulwood and Whirlow would be more my choice.

Ecclesall would not feature too highly because even though T020 puts forward a very convincing arguement, its just too bland and oh so full of very common looking 1930's semis, sorry but just not in the same class as the other areas i have mentioned.

There are lovely pockets in Millhouses as well.

The 1930s semis and detached style houses add to the feel of affluent suburbia IMO. The tree lined roads and perfect gardens, as well as being surrounded by trees, woods and parks also add to the appearance. Whirlow is also full of 1930s houses, and Fulwood has a lot of 1950s - 1960s housing which, IMO, is one of the most ugly eras for housing. Fulwood would probably be my no. 1 choice though.

Originally posted by sat1983

I have lived in quite a few areas in Sheffield. In my experience keep to the WEST of the city.

I lived in Pitsmoor, Parson Cross, Handsworth, Walkley.. Out of them Walkley is the only area I'd say is okay, if you get on with students!! I am now moving to Fulwood which is what I have been waiting for for many years!!!

I always think this East/ West divide in Sheffield is amazing. I mean my grandparents still live in Pitsmoor and everytime I get there I think " Its like another world". Basically pitsmoor is dirty, grey, depressing and very dangerous.

Parson cross is slightly better but a classic council estate type area, very boring...

Anyway I annoy people with this classic line but I always think that if you want to live properly in Sheffield stick to the S10 & S11 areas. I tend to think living in any other postcode has got downsides. Of course, you've gotta have the old cash to live in the good areas but I tend to think that you get what you pay for in life.

who's paying for you to live in Fulwood?

Guest sat1983

My uni loan and a job why??? Think I'm on the dole???

Try again!!!

Try again!!!

Err...what makes you think bonny meant it like that?

If your paranoia wasn't so amusing, I'd recommend you seek professional counselling :D

Try again!!!

Run that by us again - are you renting or paying a mortgage (or living with your parents)?

Uni loans are approx £4k max dependant on parental income and your own job.

A bit personal isn't it? It's vulgar to discuss personal finances. However he has funded it is his business only, and not relevant to the debate.

Originally posted by t020

A bit personal isn't it? It's vulgar to discuss personal finances. However he has funded it is his business only, and not relevant to the debate.

If it was he wouldnt discuss it himself would he? Infact by his own statement he suggests we 'try again'.

If its so vulgar to discuss personal finance, then stop your bull**** by telling us how only people with money can live up your end of town and how expensive it is - because we all know that folk up there have x-amount of money and disposable income. Thats personal finance based on your locality isn't it?

You have to ask yourself, moving from Pitsmoor to Fulwood is a bit of a jump, so why is asking such a big deal.

In future don't reply to my posts unless you have something half useful to say.

:thumbsup:

No because income based on locality is an average, not personal. I just think personal income should remain personal and isn't generally something you ask about. If he wants to answer though, then thats his choice. Yes it is a bit of a jump - lottery win maybe?

Try again!!!

T020 - read it over again. He is discussing his own personal finance here.....

What I asked what partially what I know myself about Student Loans - as for his work, fair enough thats up to him, but unless he is earning a fairly significant amount to be living in a house, or just enough to be in a 1 room bedsit is his business fair enough, but then perhaps if he was so concerned about keeping his finances private he wouldnt invite us to ask him about it.

Lottery win? Even you're speculating now!

Getting back on topic, why not look a bit further afield? I live at Aston (S26) which is technically in Rotherham but its great and house prices are average.

agree with that Aston has some very nice houses - I looked at a house there a while ago. Most of the roads in that area were named after various birds!

there is also a new housing development there, just off mansfield road isnt it?