Which is the best area to live in Sheffield?

The best area is indeed to the West of the City: FULWOOD, miles better than Dore or Totley which are now too spreadeagled all over the pl;ace and just blend into each other anonymously.

House prices will cost you 3 legs and 4 arms, but you get a great area, good transport, good local pubs and easy access to the City plus the peaks on your doorstep.

I've lived in Fulwood all my life and one thing Fulwood hasn't got is a pub.

Well no pub as such, unless you count the so called FULWOOD INN which is really in Ranmoor. And the Ranmoor Inn pretends to be in Fulwood, so somtimes does the BULLS HEAD (both Ranmoor really) as does the RISING SUN which is really Nethergreen. And the SHINY SHEFF pretends to be in *upper Fulwood* which is daft as its really Redmires/Lodge Moor.

Fulwood itself is surrounded by Pubs on all sides, from those mentioned above across to the PLOUGH at Sandygate on the other side. So yes, it has no pub, but there are those who claim to be in its *upper* area in order to get in on the so called prestige.

Fulwoods a lovely place.

just depends on ya budget, whether you want to buy? rent private or council?

the areas to definately stay away from are sheffield manor, bottom end of firth park, and definately pitsmoor

good luck in finding somthing pm me if you want and i'll try and help if i can as i know someone who buys and sells houses and also rents

little jo

I'g stay away from the estates mentioned above.

If you have the budget, I'd look at Dore, Totley, Whirlow and Fulwood, Very nice places, and the countryside is on your doorstep!

Originally posted by mk72

I'g stay away from the estates mentioned above.

If you have the budget, I'd look at Dore, Totley, Whirlow and Fulwood, Very nice places, and the countryside is on your doorstep!

Add to that Eccelsall, Redmires (Lodge Moor), Sandygate, parts of Beauchief, parts of Milhouses, Totley Rise (bits), Nethergreen (top bit), Ranmoor, Broomhill (west posh bit), Bannercross (posh bits), in short you cant go far wrong with an S10 postcode if you just avoid Crookes and central Broomhill, and an S11 code will generally be good unless is central Hunters Bar or Eccellsall road, Bannercross main shopping areas, or the bits between Ecclesall road and Abbeydale Road before you get far enough out of town.

My parents have lived on Brooklands Avenue for over 40 years. Apparantly there was a discussion when they moved into the area of building a pub where the news agents is now. The older locals had a fit and said it would lower the tone of the area. Strangely enough there's a pub at Lodge Moor, Dore and Totley. All nice areas!

There was a pub in Fulwood about a hundred years ago. It was called the Blacksmith's arms (next to the Smithies, now Ranmoor motor company) and was on old fulwood rd. George Cunningham did a picture of it. However, the vicarage used to be across the rd. Think it got shut down by the church.

Guess this doesn't have much to do with the original suject though.

Whehey.

Aston is a real nice place to live close to the M1 but a nice quite area to live

Originally posted by goldenfleece

Add to that Eccelsall, Redmires (Lodge Moor), Sandygate, parts of Beauchief, parts of Milhouses, Totley Rise (bits), Nethergreen (top bit), Ranmoor, Broomhill (west posh bit), Bannercross (posh bits), in short you cant go far wrong with an S10 postcode if you just avoid Crookes and central Broomhill, and an S11 code will generally be good unless is central Hunters Bar or Eccellsall road, Bannercross main shopping areas, or the bits between Ecclesall road and Abbeydale Road before you get far enough out of town.

Sorry for being a little rash but what a crock of *****.

Like Max says, it depends on the individuals needs/likes/budget etc.

All the areas mentioned above are really nice places to live in Sheffield.Particularly Fulwood and Dore are good but they would cost a hand and a foot to buy even a small property.

Recently i remember reading an article in a newspaper claiming Sothall near crystal peaks shopping centre as the most value for money locality in Britain to live, taking into consideration house prices and amenities available around. I know of folks who live around there and there are also some very good and higher end properties for reasonable price in new developements in Owlthorpe and near Beighton community hospital .Given the house prices in leafy suburbs,followed by S11 postcode i think these areas are very good choices.What are other peoples thoughts on this?