Memories Of Walkley

i lived at no 4 exley avenue in lower walkley from 1964 too 1972 until we emigrated too australia...i went too walkley junior and infants....and i remember a shop just down from exley avenue called duckworths and it sold lots of different sweets....and i used too play on primrose hill which was wasteland with a few garages on it...

my in laws had a sweet shop on south road some years ago then moved onto bottom of freedom road where i lived with them for a number of years.they were called walker.loved living in walkley.

I was friends with a David Walker who used to live in the "round" house (probably octagonal really) on corner of South Road and Carr Road. Was he related to your Walker?

All the time we livd on grammar street it was mr and mrs hurst who had the corner shop.

they had a dog called boxer.

2 or 3 doors away from the shop is where mrs walkland lived,,with,, maureen,and kenny walkland. othr neighbours were the clarkes,,greens,,mrs rigney,, culfs,,billams,,beightons,,marsdens(they lived next door to us) knights(my family,,on my mums side)

my in laws had a sweet shop on south road some years ago then moved onto bottom of freedom road where i lived with them for a number of years.they were called walker.loved living in walkley.

I knew your in laws, Tony was a bus driver and made some fine home brew which he invited me to sample more than once :)

I was friends with a David Walker who used to live in the "round" house (probably octagonal really) on corner of South Road and Carr Road. Was he related to your Walker?

no,it was tony and rita that owned the shop and their children were darren and donna.

---------- Post added 03-02-2013 at 22:59 ----------

I knew your in laws, Tony was a bus driver and made some fine home brew which he invited me to sample more than once :)

thats right!!making home brew til the day he died!!!!lol

Edited by mindyw
miss spelling

• 1 month later...

Hello

My name is Philip Bennett and me and all my family were born and bred in Family.My mums maiden name was Pearson.

I was born in 1952 and lived at 12 Hadfield Terrace (the Terrace was just off the bottom of Hadfield St at the bottom r/h side looking down)

My Grandma and Grandad lived at no9 until 1957 when they moved to 61 Palm St,we then moved into their house at no 9.I have a sister Caroline who is 5 years younger.We both went to Burgoyne road,I then went to Myers Grove and my sister went to City Grammar School.We left Walkley in 1968 as our houses were ear marked for slum clearance.

My Dad was born in 186 Hoole Street and lived there until he married my mum(Iris Pearson) in 1951.

My Grandparents were well known in Walkley right from the 1930's (Charlie and Carrie Pearson)

I still often visit Walkley and the memories are as strong as ever,without doubt the best time of my life.

I can remember Paul & David Smith, Julie & Tracy Slack,also there was Antony Smith (no relation to the twins), the Kings,Archibalds,Williams all lived on Hoole St.

Most could be found playing football in Burgoyne rd school, top yard, after climbing over the gates.