Memories Of Walkley

We lived on Daniel street in the big yard opposit the Fulton pub I knocked around with Raymond dams,Martin Hamilton no longer with us i remember the stratfords, hayse,s And also the ambler s I knocked around with Colin I went to Daniel hill school (upperthorpe) I was great growing up in the 60 all those old derelict houses reading all these story's brought back loads of memories

Hi, I also lived on Daniel Hill Street in the 1960's but left in the early 70's due to sulm clearance. I lived further down from you opposite Upperthorpe School.

---------- Post added 30-08-2013 at 12:52 ----------

JOSE LOY,MYRNA LOY,JACK LOY all lived at 111 Daniel hill street oposite the bakery and next door to the bakery..they lived there from the 1930s until the 1950s and 1960s when they flew the nest. Most of the topics above are recalled by them..thanks for the memories.........

I lived further down Daniel Hill Street at 22 but during the 1960's early 1970's. My mum lived further up Daniel Hill Street when she was younger in one of the houses just above The Blake pub. Her maiden name was Grady and had several brothers and a younger sister.

In reply to Carosio, lived near top of Freedom Road. Houses pulled down long ago, sadly.

I was friends with a David Walker who used to live in the "round" house (probably octagonal really) on corner of South Road and Carr Road. Was he related to your Walker?

I can remember demolishing the round house, and some controversy about it at the time, wonder if it was listed.

I can remember demolishing the round house, and some controversy about it at the time, wonder if it was listed.

You didn't see my friend or his family in it when you demolished it did you?

In reply to Carosio, lived near top of Freedom Road. Houses pulled down long ago, sadly.

Thanks, just that my mother (sometime before war) lived at No 123.

Hi Livvysdad

If you have a photo of the church from the 40s can you pm it to me or provide a link?

Just out of interest.

Hi Andycott, did i ever send you the photo of the old church ?, just reading thru this and cant remember if i did or not ,let me know

At one point the plan was to demolish everything below South Road, the 'Walkley Action Group' 'WAG' was set up to fight it with the result that most of the houses were left standing.

My parents home was in the yard in Cundy St numbers 126-134 the houses in the yard below were demolished although I can't understand why.

Hi there, i lived at 116 Cundy st as child. We had to move because the houses weren't safe to live in. So they pulled them down ... Sad really had some good times in our 2 up and 2 down house

I lived in a back to back top of channing street walkley

Hi

Doeas anybody have any memories of life on Daniel Hill Street?

Murder of Winifred Jesse HEPPLEWHITE at 33 Fir Street, Sheffield on or about 3 January 1966 by her husband Police Sergeant Kenneth HEPPLEWHITE of the Sheffield City Police.

I found this on The National Archives

Hi, I used to play with both of her children (Raymond & Susan) back in those days but only knew there surname as Beard , however the police sergeant I believe was at Woodseats police station and had family or friends in the Newcastle area as that is where he tried to dump her body in the sea !

---------- Post added 01-10-2013 at 18:05 ----------

Whereabouts was #282 ? Was it close to the Terminus ?

Hi, sorry only just seen your reply , yes it was at the back of THE LOLLYPOP SHOP ! near the tram terminus, The entrance to the yard was at the top of GREENHOUSE ST. there were 3 houses in that yard ours Ward next door was Goodison and then Blanchard !

Edited by 1942mick

Hi I was born in 101 Industry St, Walkley and lived there till I was about 3 years old then moved to 282 Heavygate Rd , Crookes and I went to Bole Hill Rd County School !

My name is Michael Ward anybody know me I am now 68 years old ?

Hi Mick , I was born in Walkley ( 28 Rangely Road ) and also went to Bole hill Rd County School

Hi Mick , I was born in Walkley ( 28 Rangely Road ) and also went to Bole hill Rd County School

Hi catzmeller, Do I know you ? or should I say do you know me ?

Were you at Bole Hill Rd County School at the same time as me ?

The previous post I put on was a while ago as I am now 71 years old !