Memories Of Walkley

Hi...i was from Walkley...but not now....who am i ?? steve r walker i think ?went to walkley county school 1953 to 63,

Hi..I didn't live in Walkley but I think we were friends when I was 15...so ages ago......This is so bizarre.....I lived at Foxhill and went to Chaucer school. My surname then was Hayes...I think your name is Steven Robert.?

I think at the time you were in a group called The king bees.?

Anyhow if it is you....would be fun to find out,.....

Sandy

My wife Brenda lived at 111 Industry Street 1945 to 66

Hi, I've just joined the Forum and was trawling through when I came across your post. I lived at 95 Industry St and I knew your wife Brenda and her sister Lorraine. I think she will remember the Brookfield family. We used to play together when we were young but Brenda was a bit older than me. Ah happy days ! She was called Howson before she married. Fond memories...

I lived on blake st in my husbands grandads house in the late sixties his name was charlie hinchliffe an he was a silversmith who had one of the little mesters places. that road was a killer to walk up with shopping and on the day we moved it snowed and the large removal van was trying to slide down the hill.Even then we had an outside toilet and no bathroom !!

Hi, I've just joined the Forum and was trawling through when I came across your post. I lived at 95 Industry St and I knew your wife Brenda and her sister Lorraine. I think she will remember the Brookfield family. We used to play together when we were young but Brenda was a bit older than me. Ah happy days ! She was called Howson before she married. Fond memories...

Getting closer - I lived at 85 Industry Street from 1957-1978.

Hi all,

I live in Walkley, down Providence Road. I'm really interested in finding out more about the history of Walkley in general, but mainly about the residents and happenings on Providence Road.

This might sound weird, but the house I rent down this road (lived here for 4 years now) has a consistent strange feel about it. Like some kind of odd, slightly negative energy which feels like the aurora of the house's history and inhabitants, recorded somehow in the surroundings.

In particular, there is an old mirror/dressing table which emits a really interesting energy ( I know I sound a tad mad, but please bear with me!), and I have seen the face of a young beautiful girl transforming before my eyes into an old hag in the mirror about 2 times.

Any insight, thoughts?

I also live on Providence Road (though have not witnessed any spooky goings on in our house that we have lived in for 5 years). Would be interested in finding out more about the history of the area. It has always struck me as being a bit odd that the far end of the road (furthest from the Walkley Bank Road junction) stops as a dead end rather than continuing down the hill towards Rivelin. Does anyone know if there used to be an old quarry there?

...Does anyone know if there used to be an old quarry there?
Yes, it is shown on this old map (click on the blue dot and drag to the left for a modern aerial view).

Anybody remember an old workmate Norman Aistrop?

Used to play drums.

USUK;7315540]Whereabouts was #282 ? Was it close to the Terminus ?

Sorry for being so late with my reply ! Yes it was near the tram terminus at the back of the Lollypop Shop ! Our cellar grate was underneath the shop window !

In the same yard there was a family called GOODISON and another called BLANCHARD !

Hi there, can anyone give me any information on the Walklands at Grammar street. Not sure what year this will have been but they lived there for a number of years and believe there would have been around 5 children. Linda, Betty, Kenny, June and Maureen

Hi there, can anyone give me any information on the Walklands at Grammar street. Not sure what year this will have been but they lived there for a number of years and believe there would have been around 5 children. Linda, Betty, Kenny, June and Maureen

Yes. They actually lived on Hattersley St, next door to the shop. They were there at least from 1952 until demolition in 1970/2. They also had a brother, Johnny. I heard that some or all of them went to live in Boston but this would have been many years ago, perhaps before 1985. Mr Walkland had a job driving the horse and cart for Collins, frequently seen parked outside the White Horse pub! Nice people though, all of them.

Edited by carosio

Thank you so much for providing this information. Do you know the names of Mr and Mrs Walkland and what they were like?

Maureen and Kenny continue to live in Sheffield. Johnny, Betty, June and Linda did move to Boston however have all passed away leaving Linda the only one living there now. Maureen is my grandma and just really wanted to know more about her past and what it was like there. Thank you so much

It was George and Elizabeth, or Jud and Beth to their friends.

I'll send you a PM later today.