Whitbreads brewery

21 hours ago, dan kelsey said:

Hi all looking for info on my grandad Hedley Kelsey 

Hi all looking for info on my grandad Hedley Kelsey Thanks 

Hi all looking for info on my grandad Hedley Kelsey 

Are you any relation to Kevin Kelsey, worked at Stanley Tools and Husband & Co.?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
On 22/09/2012 at 08:25, IMorley said:

Hello Shane,

I worked at Whitbreads from1984 until it closed. You mentioned my dad Graham. He still lives at High Green, he worked with your dad in the early 80's, he often tells me loads of stories about him. I remember coming to your house once I think it was in Ecclesfield.

I have fond memories of the football trips, the one that stands out for me was the Brussels trophy fiinal against Marlow. I remember being told no beer was allowed by the side of the pitch, but we had bin liners full of Gold Label. I think Dave Barker was sent off, and some one else but I can't remember who.

Cheers Ian

Hi Ian, I’ve just come across your comment…you mention the Brussels trophy final against Marlow. My dad was the Manager of the football team. He always said when the team won, it was because I polished his lucky shoes before the match 🙄😂

Edited by NCraine
Edit words

• 1 month later...

I worked at Whitbreads as a student in summers and Christmas breaks  of 69 to 72. Summers were great as spent a week on all different gangs doing different jobs to make up team if folk were off ill, on holiday etc. Remember 6am to 6pm long shifts but great subsidised breakfast, allowance times when each gang was brought their beer allowance in jugs 3 times a day. Plus we had a few extra from sampling line. Some brilliant people and I learned more about life, not least been a young bloke on the bottling line with 7 very raucous women being ribbed and ridiculed.

At Christmas I drove the cellar service van round all the pubs prior to tanker delivery. Each pub insisted on giving both me and the service guy a pint a whisky chaser. My job was to keep reaonably sober, so by lunchtime when we had done first four cellars I was able to do the cellar work and drive as the regular serviceman had already had 6 pints and 8 whisky chasers. Yes, I kept to 2 pints in the morning and one at the last stop in the afternoon.

8 hours ago, Wayguy said:

I worked at Whitbreads as a student in summers and Christmas breaks  of 69 to 72. Summers were great as spent a week on all different gangs doing different jobs to make up team if folk were off ill, on holiday etc. Remember 6am to 6pm long shifts but great subsidised breakfast, allowance times when each gang was brought their beer allowance in jugs 3 times a day. Plus we had a few extra from sampling line. Some brilliant people and I learned more about life, not least been a young bloke on the bottling line with 7 very raucous women being ribbed and ridiculed.

At Christmas I drove the cellar service van round all the pubs prior to tanker delivery. Each pub insisted on giving both me and the service guy a pint a whisky chaser. My job was to keep reaonably sober, so by lunchtime when we had done first four cellars I was able to do the cellar work and drive as the regular serviceman had already had 6 pints and 8 whisky chasers. Yes, I kept to 2 pints in the morning and one at the last stop in the afternoon.

Sounds like a fantastic job!