Whitbreads brewery

• 1 year later...
On 01/06/2009 at 12:45, ShaneH said:

hi baldy. i do vaguely remember another higgins at whitbreads. sorry to hear your dad passed away.

i remember my dad doing his family tree in the 80s. he traced them from Ireland to church street in ecclesfield if i am right. i am sure there were over 5 houses on there at one time with the name higgins.

shane

Sorry Shane, i didn't see your last post, i just hope you are still on here all these years later. Yes, you he was right, they were all from Ecclesfield, i never got as far back as Ireland though, but that is why i started my family tree to find that out. I will message you, we must be related somewhere along the line.

On 13/09/2020 at 18:17, prince al said:

Sorry but Whitbreads bear was awful.

To be fair in wasn't the fault of the staff....the brews were set by HQ in London, out of the big brewers Whitbreads offerings were particularly dismal, but I remember them reintroducing Tennants Queens Ale from Ladysbridge in the late 1970's early 80's and it was superb....it made me realise they could brew great beer, just that the range and recipes were set by head office.

• 2 months later...
On 25/01/2011 at 18:12, Joseph M said:

Heres a line up of names for you;

Brian Reynolds Pete Hampshire Colin Atkins Fred Sweet George Bartrem Roy Townsend Terry Davenport Eddie Loy Willis Hague Roy Foster Ken Birks Ron Capewell ( Sheffield Weds reserve Goalkeeper) Terry Hussey Dennis Stringfellow (Related to Peter) Billy Carol Brian Potter Dennis Breaks Tommy Tyson Cyrel Brammer Roy Brammer Sammy Rudge Harry Rudge Pete Rudge Brian Vickers Dennis Gledhill RonTilney

Nat Olera (manager Transport) Les Dawson (Union Man) Brian Green Eric Wilson

Eric Smadley Barry Nichols Norman Swift Allan Chadburn Joe Thompson Fred Howe

Walt Machin John Machin Peter Higgins Peter Parkinson.

All the above names were given to me today by (Bill Hague also known as Canonball) incidently whos birthday it is today at the age of 78.,

He never forgets the wonderfull people and brilliant company that he worked for.

I'm clearly years behind on these post but recently found this forum. I believe the Nat Olera you refer to is Nat Allera  I myself worked at Whitbreads 1986 to 2003 pre starting full time i worked for George Lymerand  D&P transport and remember some of the names on the list as they were mates of Nat's who is my Father. For all those who remember him he's still with us but unfortunately has Vascular Dementia so his short term memory is shot but his long term is still functioning . I've spent time with him reading through these post and its really great to how he responds and tells me the stories of old, brings him back to a sense of worth, so thanks. Be great to see some new postings so I can keep the engagement there. To all my old colleagues I wish you all well and thank you for being part of Nat of our life. 

Special thanks to my adopted Dad, RAT (Arrodbo) for looking after me when I moved to Shadsworth. 

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...
20 hours ago, dan kelsey said:

Hi all looking for info on my grandad Hedley Kelsey 

Hi all looking for info on my grandad Hedley Kelsey Thanks 

Hi all looking for info on my grandad Hedley Kelsey 

Yes I knew Hedley, he was a painter I think, his wife, your Nan June was a good friend of my wife’s, both Hedley and June used to frequent the Wyvern on Leighton Road, June went on many a woman's week-end with my wife and her other friends, Hedley used to drink with  Joe “ Jenks “, a very amiable Irish man, plus Derek Boyce and another Irish man called Tommy Handley, my wife found this lovable man dead in his flat across from us, Tommy Hughes was another mate of Hedleys, all in all they were a great set of men.