Sheffield Castle research

Would you subscribe to a fund to finaly have Sheffield Castle properly researched,

An article in the Star Say's That Sheffield Castles history could be secured if the forgotten monument was properly researched...

Do you think the people of Sheffield would or should support this,?

i think it would be great to see a castle in sheffield once again,clear out the tack from the wicker and it would look great

Can I take it as a no then ?

Nah, old stuff is boring. I would rather they spent the money on building a brand new one!

It's not clear whether a fund would be used just to let a group of academics dig through loads of old documents and do research on the history which wouldn't be of much benefit or whether the research includes the excavation and displaying the castle remains.

I thought as part of the castle market area improvements there had been some talk about exposing the castle remains and making them a focal point which I had assumed would be funded by the developers, or one of the organissations that deal with such things.

You haven't really given enough information to enable people to decide whether it would be a worthwhile project.

For instance, would it be purely paper based research, or would there be some archaeological work involved?

Sorry just realised I have repeated WallBuilder's points.

My daughter bought a flat in Slough which was a new development and it looked just like a castle. How about that for a new development where the Old Castle was?

Only they'd have to make sure they didn't build it to the same solid standards of the Norman original. They'd have to make sure it could be demolished easily in 10 years time, this being Sheffield anall.

Born & bred in Sheffield just before the end of WW2 , I thought Castlegate and Castle Market were just names, until a freind of mine told me about a month ago, that he had been given a tour around the old ruins that exist under the market.

There are maps of where it was on Google, plus history on the place, I was surprised to see that the old fort [Wincobank Castle] has gone too now, so much for preserving the history of what was once one of the greatest and best known cities in the world.

Was there a castle at Wincobank?

I always thought it was just a massive Iron Age (Brigante) hill fort comprising of hefty earthworks and any structures were long-since-rotted wooden affairs.

Was there a castle at Wincobank?

I always thought it was just a massive Iron Age (Brigante) hill fort.

It was, but it was better known to most people as Winco Castle, my mates family lived there around 59/60.

I read some history of the place a while ago, but can't find the same site now.

A full archaeological investigation would be nice and the castle made a feature of like in other cities instead of being buried under a run-down market building