Yellow Scientology campaign tent at Barkers Pool

So.....mikeybaby72 and me were walking up to City Hall when all of a sudden we see a big yellow tent. Oooooo says I....let's go and see.

It's a campain tent for the Church of Scientology - you know the L Ron Hubbard crew patronised by Tom Cruise and the like.

I am confused now......so the tent has a cross on it, the uniforms have a cross on them.....they call themselves a Church.....the people are called ministers....on their literature they call themselves a religion. YET....on further questioning they say they are nothing to do with Jesus Christ and they live their lives by certain lifestyle choices and have nothing to do with what we know as Church :huh:

So WHY call yourself a religion, WHY call yourself a Church, WHY use the recognised symbol of Christianity and WHY call yourself ministers?

Am I missing something? :suspect::suspect::suspect:

All I can say is that is was a good job I had my Jesus Army hoodie on...with a BIG red cross on the front to keep me safe from something that is obviously masquerading as something they are not. :hihi:

Edited by julado

No idea, fortunately I know there is no god so I am perfectly safe.

Is this a Cult?

Is this a Cult?

Is the last word a spelling mistake?

lol yeah it is

Hang on a minute... Is this someone who's in a cult complaining about people in another cult?

Hilarious. Just hilarious.

Ah but MY particular cult doesn't use symbolism from something else, call itself something it is not and appear to be something it is not......Jesus Army....does what it says on the tin. Church of Scientology is what exactly???? :D

Ah but MY particular cult doesn't...

As long as we both agree on the first part. ;) I'm sure they'll be pleased with you for admitting it.

Jesus Army....does what it says on the tin.

What? Invades countries in the name of Jesus?

And that, ladies and gentlemen, is enough religion-bating for today. :P

So....doesn't anyone know why a lifestyle organisation not linked with Jesus Christ or any other deity for that matter would call itself a Church, have a cross as the symbol, have ministers, call itself a religion and yet clearly not be any of those things.

Still confused????

Why are Sheffield City Council sanctioning a cult to push itself on Sheffielders, potentially damaging their lives? Eg :

The Church of Scientology is a vicious and dangerous cult that masquerades as a religion. Its purpose is to make money. It practices a variety of mind-control techniques on people lured into its midst to gain control over their money and their lives. Its aim is to take from them every penny that they have and can ever borrow and to also enslave them to further its wicked ends.

It was started in the 1950s by a science fiction writer named L. Ron Hubbard in fulfilment to his declared aim to start a religion to make money. It is an offshoot to a method of psychotherapy he concocted from various sources which he named "Dianetics". Dianetics is a form of regression therapy. It was then further expanded to appear more like a religion in order to enjoy tax benefits. He called it "Scientology".

Scientology is a confused concoction of crackpot, dangerously applied psychotherapy, oversimplified, idiotic and inapplicable rules and ideas and science-fiction drivel that is presented to its members (at the "advanced" levels) as profound spiritual truth.

Very thorough explanation there...thank you :D

you don't normally have to pay to join a 'religion'....