For info...they're called Wolf spiders and they grow bigger than the garden spiders that we are used to.

I have them too, and they are always worse at this time of year.

Explain about the cloves please, and tell me, when they leave me because of the smell of cloves, where will they go?

Back under the floor, or next door, or what? Will they really go away or just retreat a bit?

Shudder

I hope they're not really wolf spiders cos I saw one of them in a museum in Australia and it was the size of my fist and very hairy!! I seem to have lots of black and white ones which jump when you try to kill them - very freaky!! I live on the top floor though so I don't get the harvest-like ones!!

Originally posted by The Cycleracer

I live in Longley to but have no problem with spiders.

Just out of interest is your username of some relevance to your lifestyle, interests or something.

Love motorsports and driving fast(in the right places! ie; not on the estates)

Hope that helps

I used to have a cellar full of wolf spiders at a flat back in Barnsley. It was an old converted victorian house and they had built a rather large nest on the meat slab in the cellar.

Generally I leave them alone but if they start getting too big for their boots then they is done for!!!

Don't ever try to kill one of those wolf spiders they are annoying critters.

I tried bleach it kept moving, flushing it down the plug hole - it climbed back up. I eventually found that a few hits with a rubber hammer did the trick eventually.

For the smaller ones I like hairspraying them to their webs!!

All of the above involve not touching them

We haven't got many house spiders I suspect they know my methods of extraction. But the garden spiders I have seen round here are fantastically BIG!!!

I have been told stories about the spiders in Oz. I am always worried about them being in our bedroom at night - our ozzy friend said it was okay with the spiders back home because you could here where in your room they were :o

*tap tap tap*

Moon

What a bunch of shameless arachnophobes you all are. Spiders are our friends, and without them we would be plagued by flying and crawling insects in numbers you simply cannot imagine.

Moon, for someone who holds the planet and her children in such high esteem, I am especially surprised at your inventiveness when it comes to dispatching them.

I love spiders because they are so different, and really, in this country, there is absolutely nothing to be afraid of.

Most spiders are actually less than 2mm big, and go laregly unnoticed by most people.

Wolf spiders in this country rarely reach more than 5-7mm, and the orb spiders, (the big web spinners in the garden) can grow to over 10mm.

Tegeneria Gigantica is the most common house spider, and it spins a funnel web to catch crawling insects, and victorian terraced houses are a dream environment for it. I have personally captured a specimen that was 14mm from fangs to spinarets.

Let's hear it for spiders, our eight legged friends!

5-7 mm ?

Then these things are twice that at least! Perhaps I should call someone in the next time I catch one - they are really aggressive too....had I in a jar and it kept bouncing all over the place..

The cat deals with them fine, if not, then what do you think the Yellow Pages is for? Slide it across the floor as if you're throwing a curling stone and flatten 'em against the skirting boards!

Originally posted by The Cycleracer

LOL.......Try moving to Wybourn Hal, they won't follow you there.

Are you sure cycleracer? you wouldn't lead me wrong would you? as a Forum member you could not ever be forgiven if you did!!!

Moon, for someone who holds the planet and her children in such high esteem, I am especially surprised at your inventiveness when it comes to dispatching them.

It is survival of the fitest mate. As a witch I revere nature - no one said I had to help it

Moon Maiden

Originally posted by Internetowl

5-7 mm ?

Then these things are twice that at least! Perhaps I should call someone in the next time I catch one - they are really aggressive too....had I in a jar and it kept bouncing all over the place..

Tegeneria Gigantica, common house spider, brown with darker markings on back, long legs, runs like buggery - anything up to 15mm long with visible blood red fangs.

wolf spiders are the little ones that jump. If you have a 15mm long wolf spider you need to take apic for me or look it up to see what it is.

Wolf spiders tend to have short legs drawn into the body and a very compact form factor, whereas giganticas have long legs for running, so they can comfortably sit astride a 50p piece without standing on it.

when you say the size of your spider is 10-15mm you are just talking about the body, not the legs right?

Moon- survival of the fittest? Come on. These things don't threaten you, it's just an irrational fear of things with too many legs. Live and let live, it's not like they are unhygeinic, dangerous or venomous. THEY CAN'T HURT YOU!!:)

Hey, leave the poor spiders alone, you lot. Kill 'em all off and next you'll be wowing because of all the other bugs infesting your houses.

If the charlotte's too big for you to be comfortable with, pop a glass over him/her, slide it over some paper, and take it outside. If you keep finding them in the bath, put some kind of makeshift ladder in there and they will make themselves scarce.

Didn't your grandparents ever tell you it's terribly bad luck to kill a spider?

It's not an infestation. It's the right time of year for spiders...although phan could prob'ly tell you in more detail, I believe all the wee baby spiders have grown up now into bigger spiders. It's an active time of year for them, and with colder nights drawing in, you're bound to see more.

ps...'charlotte' = big spider with a personality all it's own. From Charlotte's Web. :D